• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prerequisites help? (1 Viewer)

mpkd

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, so the situation here is that I want to drop to general maths from advanced maths but I want to make sure that advanced maths isn't a prerequisite for the courses that I want to do. I'm looking at the USYD course list and for some of the courses, mathematics is under the column assumed knowledge and i'm not quite sure what it means. Does it mean that mathematics/advanced maths is a prerequisite? Does this mean that I can't drop to general maths?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Assumed knowledge means they expect you to know the content. You can still do the course without it, but you would probably struggle.

If you really want to do General Maths, you can always do a 2U bridging course later on.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, so the situation here is that I want to drop to general maths from advanced maths but I want to make sure that advanced maths isn't a prerequisite for the courses that I want to do. I'm looking at the USYD course list and for some of the courses, mathematics is under the column assumed knowledge and i'm not quite sure what it means. Does it mean that mathematics/advanced maths is a prerequisite? Does this mean that I can't drop to general maths?
You will get a more meaningful response if you mention the course in which you are interested. Eg if you were considering engineering, then the assumed knowledge is maths extension 1 (also known as 3 unit maths). If you entered this course having done only general maths, you would be well below the level of assumed knowledge, and I regret to say only a very small chance of success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)