prerequisites waived based on majors? (1 Viewer)

richh1833

HSC
N/A
Hey guys new here,

I just wanted to ask about this line here:

Prerequisites are waived for students undertaking the following cross-listed unit of study towards the major
As a first year student, I actually wanna accelerate my degree if possible so I will be taking USSC2601/2602 HSTY1023 and GOVT2445. I'll be majoring in American Studies and Political Economy. I find it a bit pointless to do ECOP in 1st semester as its offered every year as well as summer classes which I do plan to take. So in order for me to complete in 4 semesters + summer school x3 winter school x2, I need to take those subjects above. Obviously USYDs website is INSANELY complicated and confusing. Using my Google skills I've found this form. Is this all I have to fill out? would they end up allowing me to end up studying those units?

I'm worried about the fact that I'm really interested in USSC2601/2602 and according to USYD's history they go through a 2 year cycle? So I don't wanna miss out on them.

What do you guys think?

richh1833

HSC
N/A
An update:

Contacted multiple people but no one has a definitive answer. I contacted the Coordinator for USSC and he sent me an email saying:

I am happy to let you enroll in USSC2601 and USSc2602.
However the Course Work Manager seems extremely adamant in not allowing me to ask for exemptions. I also called the UG B.A student service, they said regardless of what the coordinator said the final decision is on the Course Work Manager?

Anyone have any info on this?

witide

HSC
I'm assuming you're the same person from Whirlpool?

I'm not sure exactly what subjects you've planned out for the next three years, but even with a double major you will still have at least four subjects remaining as electives. Surely it would be simpler to find some first years subjects to study for now, rather than accelerating the senior subjects. As far as I can see, you'll only end up looking for subjects to do when you finish both your majors. If the arts administration office has led you to a negative response, then I don't think there is much you can do.

jet

Banned
HSC
It's going to cost you a lot more money to accelerate with Summer and Winter school than if you just did it normally like everybody else. And by that I mean $10,000-$15,000 more...

Last edited:

richh1833

HSC
N/A
This is my plan at least for now. http://i.imgur.com/AUh3y.jpg

For my double majors, and at least to the standards I would want to do them at, I would be at 108 Credits. I am limited to 18 Junior Credits per Subject which would lock me out of ECOP and AMST. I need a minimum of 96 Senior Credits to graduate which needs me to complete 24 more senior credits after completing my double major where I'll sit at 126. At 126 I'll need to do 18 Junior/Senior credits.

Does the arts administration have jurisdiction to override a waiver from the subject coordinator? Check this

Waivers can only be granted by the coursework coordinator for the unit of study for which special permission to enrol is sought, (unless specified in a student's offer letter).
Doing Winter/Summer school will cost me way more than 10-15k. I'll be looking at least 28-30k.

Yea I'm the same person from Whirlpool. I rather get my facts clear NOW rather than going there on enrollment and getting told NOPE YES NOPE YES NOPE YES.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Why are you so intent on finishing your degree in two years?

I'm also concerned that you don't fully understand the implications of doing Summer and Winter school. The workload is much greater than during semester because you're trying to learn 13 weeks worth of information in 6 weeks (summer school), or 4 weeks (winter school). It also means that instead of having assessments spread out over the semester, you'll have them almost weekly.

Also, doing summer and winter school will mean that you won't get a break apart from December as summer school starts in the first week of Jan and goes til the middle of Feb, and winter school goes for the whole four weeks of the mid-year break. Effectively you'll be studying full-time ALL THE TIME and this can negatively impact your marks as you won't have the ability to take time out and refresh between semesters. It will also effectively make it very difficult to hold down a job (even part-time) due to workload, and this can deter future employers.

richh1833

HSC
N/A
Why are you so intent on finishing your degree in two years?

I'm also concerned that you don't fully understand the implications of doing Summer and Winter school. The workload is much greater than during semester because you're trying to learn 13 weeks worth of information in 6 weeks (summer school), or 4 weeks (winter school). It also means that instead of having assessments spread out over the semester, you'll have them almost weekly.

Also, doing summer and winter school will mean that you won't get a break apart from December as summer school starts in the first week of Jan and goes til the middle of Feb, and winter school goes for the whole four weeks of the mid-year break. Effectively you'll be studying full-time ALL THE TIME and this can negatively impact your marks as you won't have the ability to take time out and refresh between semesters. It will also effectively make it very difficult to hold down a job (even part-time) due to workload, and this can deter future employers.
I fully understand the implications. Not being able to have breaks isn't that big of a problem to me as I'm actually studying what I enjoy, I practically study those subjects at home through reading articles and texts.

I would like to finish in two years due to the fact that I would like to study my post grad outside of the country, and I'm some what behind in studies already due to my age. Nonetheless I did consider about the work load and it is not of concern to me as I have mentally prepared for it, and I don't plan to have a part time job during those times cause most of the places I would be applying for don't care much for your job at subway or maccas or some retail place which is the only places I would ever be able to get a job at this point in my life.

Personally, I'm at the point where, I've actually dropped out, experienced hardship, finally got back on track and figured out what I wanna study and what I want in life. I don't have a problem with no breaks neither do I have a problem with hardship. Its not a matter of if I can do it or not because I believe in my own capabilities to complete what I set out to complete.

witide

HSC
A major is generally only 36 senior credit points. Two majors means 72 credits out of the 144 total. That leaves 72 for anything else you want to do, whether it be junior subjects, honours pre-requisites, or electives. To me it seems like you're going to have to do electives regardless, so you may as well do them in your first year to fulfill the requirements for senior subjects.

Also just letting you know, there aren't many options available in winter/summer school outside of introductory classes. I don't think there are any subjects offered in American Studies at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)