Prescribed Texts, How many to memorise? (1 Viewer)

vypherpus

HSC
My class got prescribed with Ali Cobby Eckermann poems and they’re like five poems. How many do I have to memorise for Module B trials and possibly the hsc itself too?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Ali Cobby Eckermann's "Inside my Mother" is a prescribed text for Module A, not Module B.

I do not think that memorising entire poems is a good approach for your trial exam and HSC exam. Not only would you be overloading your memory with parts of a poem that are not as useful, but memorising multiple poems overlooks important aspects of effective preparation. Instead, your preparation should involve studying notes targeting a number of poems (including information such as techniques and quotes used in each), as this equips you with a good understanding of each poem while avoiding the unnecessary barrier of memory overload. Depending on the way in which you have approached English Standard throughout year 11 and year 12, you may wish to consider writing an analysis component targeting a number of poems, maximising its quality by seeking and implementing your teacher's feedback and then memorising it in preparation for your trial or (if there is not enough time to do this before your trial exam) your HSC exam.

To answer your question, when I did my HSC, I studied Kenneth Slessor's poetry for the Common Module. I chose to analyse two of his poems in depth and this allowed me to achieve 17/20 for that essay. Based on this, if you are able to present a sophisticated analysis, exploring two poems should be sufficient. Otherwise, you may wish to consider exploring a third one to consolidate your analysis.

I hope this helps! :D

nsw..wollongong

HSC
My class got prescribed with Ali Cobby Eckermann poems and they’re like five poems. How many do I have to memorise for Module B trials and possibly the hsc itself too?
i did eliot (also 5 poems) and i only memorised about 3-4 quotes per poem (and they're not very long, like arnd 5 words)
that should be more than enough esp if ur gonna talk abt 2-3 poems in ur essay

vypherpus

HSC
Ali Cobby Eckermann's "Inside my Mother" is a prescribed text for Module A, not Module B.

I do not think that memorising entire poems is a good approach for your trial exam and HSC exam. Not only would you be overloading your memory with parts of a poem that are not as useful, but memorising multiple poems overlooks important aspects of effective preparation. Instead, your preparation should involve studying notes targeting a number of poems (including information such as techniques and quotes used in each), as this equips you with a good understanding of each poem while avoiding the unnecessary barrier of memory overload. Depending on the way in which you have approached English Standard throughout year 11 and year 12, you may wish to consider writing an analysis component targeting a number of poems, maximising its quality by seeking and implementing your teacher's feedback and then memorising it in preparation for your trial or (if there is not enough time to do this before your trial exam) your HSC exam.

To answer your question, when I did my HSC, I studied Kenneth Slessor's poetry for the Common Module. I chose to analyse two of his poems in depth and this allowed me to achieve 17/20 for that essay. Based on this, if you are able to present a sophisticated analysis, exploring two poems should be sufficient. Otherwise, you may wish to consider exploring a third one to consolidate your analysis.

I hope this helps! :D
ahh sorry yeah I meant Module A.. that was a typo lol. Anyways thank you! It really helped a lot .. i thought I had to memorise all of the poems because our teacher has been frequently absent so we were just left to our own devices to figure everything out

vypherpus

HSC
i did eliot (also 5 poems) and i only memorised about 3-4 quotes per poem (and they're not very long, like arnd 5 words)
that should be more than enough esp if ur gonna talk abt 2-3 poems in ur essay
Noted!! Thank you so much. Can I ask what grade you got for that essay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)