• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Presidential Election (3 Viewers)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Re: First Presidential Debate

Sandy has been good for Obama. If he saves his presidency it is partially because of that.

halapenyo

HSC

Sandy has been good for Obama. If he saves his presidency it is partially because of that.
NY was already strong democrat territory. romney wouldnt have been able to do much with less than a week anyway.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

NY was already strong democrat territory. romney wouldnt have been able to do much with less than a week anyway.
the whole of new england is in obama's pocket, but this is a national crisis that works in obama's favour. obama has received unanimous regarding his handling of the crisis (queue comparisons to Bush's handling of katrina). i have no doubt this will have flow on effects in the neighbouring swing states - ohio, virginia, even north carolina.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

It is a national matter that has garnered international news even. Obama hasn't screw it up yet and even if he does screw up the relief efforts, this won't be known until after the election is held. It is/has been a win win situation for Obama.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

It's just not fair, conservatives never get the political benefit from major disasters.
Bush did initially with Katrina, although then that caved in on top of him.

I will put on my tinfoil hat, although now that you mention it, it is a big coincidence that Sandy has hit America right before the election when Obama was struggling and behind in many of the polls. HAARP or other military programs are rumored/believed to be able to control weather events and induce natural disasters to use them as a weapon so...

halapenyo

HSC

but Romney doesnt have a say in this matter does he? isnt it a bit unfair for voters to give obama brownie points over this.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

but Romney doesnt have a say in this matter does he? isnt it a bit unfair for voters to give obama brownie points over this.
No he doesn't. Obama (or whoever was the sitting president) benefits solely from it [unless he screws it up; which doesn't seem to have happened].

halapenyo

HSC

so will his benefit be nationwide or only along the northeast?

halapenyo

HSC

I seem to remember a certain Australia Prime Minister was trailing dismally in the polls shortly before 9/11 occurred.
lol howard was trailing beazley?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Ignore the puffin. It is extremely unlikely that the overall election result will be determined in any significant way by this. I'd be surprised if it moved even 20 electoral college seats.
You do realise that Bush won the 2000 election by only 5 electoral college votes, right?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

I seem to remember a certain Australia Prime Minister was trailing dismally in the polls shortly before 9/11 occurred.
Yeah, but this is Australia, not the US. 9/11 was not a natural disaster (and occurred after the 2000 election) although I wouldn't be surprised if Bush or his associates did have prior warning to it.

halapenyo

HSC

is this right?

538 electoral college votes
first to 270 wins

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Pretty consistantly from about 1997-2001. Howard lost the popular vote in the 1998 election and Beazley was cruising ahead for pretty well the bulk of Howard's second term, there was talk of Costello taking over to save the furniture etc, then 9/11 happened and, then a month later the Tampa incident happened and Howard got a massive double swing at the eleventh hour(the election had already been called for November 10. In the last two weeks Beazley clawed back a lot of ground but Howard still clung on by the skin of his teeth. No way had it not been for 9/11 and children overboard would Howard have won that election.
I'm not so sure about the Tampa, but yes, 9/11 certainly won Howard that election. To be fair though, it would have won the sitting prime minister whether Liberal or Labor it.

halapenyo

HSC

how did 9/11 help howard?

halapenyo

HSC

how come romney is so far ahead with likely voters (51-46) while they are tied with registered voters (48-48).

does that indicate he's more popular with younger people?

halapenyo

HSC

Generally people were panicked and scared and so looked respectfully to figures of authority and the opposition pretty much had to suspend any criticism of the government for a month or get accused or really poor taste. A very good summary can be found on Antony Greens' blog, here http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2004/guide/summary.htm
interesting read. so if you are the opposing party you have to pray that no international/domestic crises occurs near the election date. but probably a good thing howard got re-elected, if im not mistaken he's known as one of our better PMs.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/howards-on-my-list-of-great-australian-pms/story-e6frg6zo-1225892690984

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)