Prestige of Uni (2 Viewers)

sarevok

HSC
J0n said:
"If you graduate law from UWS, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
"If you graduate law from USYD, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
"If you graduate law from Harvard, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
maybe, but one might be working for dawsons and the other chasing ambulances for a living

HSC
as far as i know your first employers care about your uni marks / where you got your degree from, otherwise they base 90% of their judgement on how you performed in prvious businesses.
if you did law at uws or uow and then worked for a small time solicitor but he wrote you a hell of a referral, or perhaps you where even involved in some tight cases and went well, or a fresh usyd law graduate and you where an employer looking for a solicitor chances are youd grab the one with experience because he/she would have more idea whats going on

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
it's also the person's personality, life outside uni etc remember so yeah

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
1. I am not putting forward an opinion.
2. I am not from NSW, but Victoria.

Anyway, I have been advised by

a) a HR recruiting on behalf of a well-known mid-tier law firm that there is a preference for certain unis... and,

b) a HR recruiting on behalf of a top-tier investment bank that there is a preference for certain unis... and,

c) the Head of English at a prestigious, private school that they typically throw out applictions unless it's from the universities they want.

Without grossly generalising, I can only say that if you applied for these three places, chances are there will be discrimination.

Unfortunately, Mr. Original Poster, you should be aware that extreme arguments going both ways are obviously gross generalisations and you should be mindful of the ulterior motives or perhaps IQ of the posters

turtleface

HSC
if a firm is bigoted and restricts themselves to just a couple of unis, why would u even want to work for a bunch of snobs like them?

Unfortunately, Mr. Original Poster, you should be aware that extreme arguments going both ways are obviously gross generalisations and you should be mindful of the ulterior motives or perhaps IQ of the posters
lol

santaslayer

HSC
Serius said:
Santa, how prestegious is UoW?

not that it really matters cause iam not doing Law, just curious
WTF would I know? :p

All it matters is that I can BS and get away with it. I don't care now though, I'm over the prestige/reputation/law degrees from omgmegaawesomewow unis. I just want to get out and find a job. I don't care if it's a shit job. I just wanna finish uni. :p

omnidragon, it would depend on the HR department's biases. If they graduated from "shit" uni, I don't think they'll mind recruiting a person from "shit" uni.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface, I'll take that as a compliment ^_^

santaslayer, the bias nature could work both ways. There are qualities that new-generation unis (taking prestige to mean older so as to link it back to the thread) possess. Besides, they are typically regarded as excelling in certain areas.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
no australian university would be considered prestigious - think more oxford, cambridge or ivy league schools.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
no australian university would be considered prestigious - think more oxford, cambridge or ivy league schools.
In the international arena, maybe, but this is certainly not the case when it comes to the domestic graduate recruitment.

For the record, 'prestigious' is defined as 'being esteemed'. It's a completely relative judgement, and so the above statement holds true.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I heard that the big Sydney firms only look at graduates from UNSW or Sydney uni etc. But I don't know whether that is true. Besides, would you really want to work for such a snobby company? Or would you really want to work for a big law firm where you spend ten years or so doing scut work before you see the inside of a law firm? Of cour.se that is my personal preferential.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
I'm doing a HR internship at Kelly ... and we've got interns from
MACQ, SYD, UNSW, UTS and UWS

I've also learned from helping to screen applicants for the big massive executive jobs that recruitment consultants like to skip over education, we only like to know whether your degree qualified or not and that the deciding factor is potentially your work experience. The same goes with selecting interns, grades only mattered to a certain extent, it was more so "how much have you worked?"

That is all

Last edited:

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Well said clairgirl. They look at how good you are with clients rather than how smart you are. I'm at IBM and I have met quiet a few managers and team leaders who dont have degrees and if they do, they have totally unrealted degrees to IT. It's how well you learn on the job and get ahead in the field you opt.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
natstar said:
People say it will for the really big companies, but we have Big 4 firms coming to our career's expo next week, so I dont know really.
Statistics would tell you that university matters with some getting much more graduate positions in certain companies than others- but I'm inclined to think it's the student candidature which makes the difference. I don't mean to bring up a Selective High Schools debate, but I think there's similarities like how Ruse manages to get alot more high-UAI students than a normal comprehensive high school; but then, they also had the top students to begin with so that's to be expected. Similarly, I think when certain unis have higher cutoffs, they are more likely to get higher achieving academic students. Sure in the job world academics don't mean that much, but they do make a difference.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Statistics would tell you that university matters with some getting much more graduate positions in certain companies than others- but I'm inclined to think it's the student candidature which makes the difference. I don't mean to bring up a Selective High Schools debate, but I think there's similarities like how Ruse manages to get alot more high-UAI students than a normal comprehensive high school; but then, they also had the top students to begin with so that's to be expected. Similarly, I think when certain unis have higher cutoffs, they are more likely to get higher achieving academic students. Sure in the job world academics don't mean that much, but they do make a difference.
The amount of people who have achieved higher uai scores and are absolute idiots astounds me no more, but they are in the hundreds perhaps the thousands.

Keep going on about how prestige still matters, good luck with that mentality in the real world.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
AsyLum said:
The amount of people who have achieved higher uai scores and are absolute idiots astounds me no more, but they are in the hundreds perhaps the thousands.

Keep going on about how prestige still matters, good luck with that mentality in the real world.
i agree...

tho i notice that .. some smaller places not all hire from their alma mater :p.... like old boys.. and 'friends' friends.. its who u know.. not wat u know =p cos after a while.. its a matter of trust and personal contacts..

alternatively.. impress the ppl if u get the chance..

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
uhh...um you missed out ANU and melbourne...

club mac and prestige usually dont belong in the same sentence either

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UTS and Macq
ahead of
ANU and Melb and UWA and Adel and UQ.... lolz lolz...

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Here's my "prestige list" in NSW

1. UNSW Vs SYDNEY
2. UTS Vs MACQ
3. ACU vs UWS
4. La Trobe, Southern Cross and all the others

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)