Prestige or the course? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Shadowdude mate, the social indoor comp just sounds....awesome. I seriously want to play in that. :) And don't worry, I'm mortally unfit sometimes as well.

OMFG7891

HSC
Deer, I get exactly what you mean. That's why I'm so pumped to move to Sydney not only for the chance to live in the city (and go to Galaxy World, we haven't any arcades where I live haha) but so I can get a bit of independence and not have to deal with the people I went to high school with, not that i dislike them or anything I just feel the same as you with the whole "wouldn't participate in stuff if they were there". Which is why if I were you, I would probably go to Usyd too. However I like probably everyone else is a bit worried about the making friends thing as I won't know a soul there which is why Clubs and stuff was another thing which turned me off UOW. UOW didn't have that many and the ones they had didn't interested me at all.

And Shadow, I don't know if this will be helpful but when I talked to the sport and rec people at UNSW they were heaps nice about those of us who were unfit but still wanted to play sport and they had teams for every level of ability (at least for Hockey). So not being fit shouldn't be an issue, at least I hope not haha

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know, I know! I'm just very torn right now...

There's no reason one cannot start a social indoor cricket competition at Sydney, though.

And mortally unfit sometimes? I'm mortally unfit all the time =P

My doctor forbids me from getting too tired - so it looks like I'm mortally unfit. Though I probably am.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I know, I know! I'm just very torn right now...

There's no reason one cannot start a social indoor cricket competition at Sydney, though.

And mortally unfit sometimes? I'm mortally unfit all the time =P

My doctor forbids me from getting too tired - so it looks like I'm mortally unfit. Though I probably am.
True, true, but it's so much easier just to enter in an established comp. =D

And I suppose being unfit wouldn't matter that much since it's easy to conserve energy in indoor anyway. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True, but if you're indoor... you can get hit more easily.

I remember when I was the designated 'forward point' in a game of indoor cricket. For their purposes I was a 'deep forward point' - right on the fence saving 2 or whatever the rules stipulate. If I was in a real match (and with a ball like that, I considered it to be - for my purposes - a real match) I was a silly forward point with no helmet. I have no idea to this day, how I survived.

Also wicketkeeping is horrid. You have medium or fast paced bowlers and you're keeping in a place which is suitable for a spinner. <_<

In fact, I'm not even sure I was playing on a proper indoor cricket field.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
If you also look at course fees unis with better reputations tend to have higher course fees. So money vs reputation as aquawhite said.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But don't we... get that CSP thing though? Like for say, commerce - the 'student contribution' goes up to $8 859 per year and that's flat for all universities?

Or are you saying that perhaps some universities will make their commerce students only pay $4000 per year and others go to the max due to bigger reputations?

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
I know for international students they charge differently but not sure about local students.

NewiJapper

HSC
Univeristies cost different amounts due to what course you are doing and the national priority for that course. Eg. Science and maths etc is a national priority so you will be paying the lowest course fees compared to something like medicine and law which aren't a national priority. Most uni's do have the same or similar fee structure though...well, I think :p

deterministic

HSC
Fees, aside from national priorities, are tied directly to the potential earning power of the degree. People with commerce, law and medicine degrees are likely to earn the most, so fees are the highest, while people doing arts are more likely to earn comparatively less, thats why art courses are much cheaper to do.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
True, but if you're indoor... you can get hit more easily.

I remember when I was the designated 'forward point' in a game of indoor cricket. For their purposes I was a 'deep forward point' - right on the fence saving 2 or whatever the rules stipulate. If I was in a real match (and with a ball like that, I considered it to be - for my purposes - a real match) I was a silly forward point with no helmet. I have no idea to this day, how I survived.

Also wicketkeeping is horrid. You have medium or fast paced bowlers and you're keeping in a place which is suitable for a spinner. <_<

In fact, I'm not even sure I was playing on a proper indoor cricket field.
And to think I kept wicket for 3 straight indoor seasons. Yes, I continually shat bricks every time a fast bowler was brought on. D:

Forward point is dangerous in any form I suppose and that indoor ball can sting quite a bit as well. =P

Thread needs to end
Haha, what a loser.

Fees, aside from national priorities, are tied directly to the potential earning power of the degree. People with commerce, law and medicine degrees are likely to earn the most, so fees are the highest, while people doing arts are more likely to earn comparatively less, thats why art courses are much cheaper to do.
I.e. CSP places.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, as a person who likes to be in goals in football - naturally, my favourite place to be in cricket is the wicketkeeper - with awesome dives and all. Now, in the indoor version? Maybe not.

I always said to my slip (who was right next to me and also very, very scared): "If he nicks (?) the ball, we're dead". Thankfully, it never happened. Though I suppose you weren't that lucky sometimes.

My preferred position to field now would be straight hit or long off/on for indoor cricket. Now if there was a bit of room from the wicket to the wicketkeeper in indoor cricket, I'd gladly assume my preferred field placement... <_<

Cookies N Cream

HSC
I might have to hijack this thread for a tad ShadowDude (;
Similar dilemma to Deer actually, prestigious v course...Macquarie v Wollongong for journalism.
I've been to UOW campus and it's fairly small and sort of, meh. No idea with Macquarie though. Couple of my friends are going to the gong as well.

Side question, worth doing international studies as a double to gain more employment opportunities, to learn a new language and the chance to travel overseas during uni?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)