pride and prejudice help (1 Viewer)

mzcricket48

HSC
how would you describe Elizabeths character(chapter 5) contrast to her sister jane

what is the function of charlotte? discuss character

read chapter 6 comment on the vanityand pride of characters

tokei

HSC
Lizzy is very observative, witty, sharp, more emotional - I could easily forgive his pride if he had not mortified mine
whereas Jane is very trusting, honest, speaks about the goodness inside people, looks at evidence, more passive - that he never speaks much unless among his intimate acquaintances. With them he is remarkably agreeable
Jane thus gets 'admired'/ wooed by Bingley while Liz, receives no such praise

jellybelly59

HSC
Charlotte stands as the rational female, a model of the reality of women in Austen's context. Charlotte Lucas is a construct of her time, bound by both the social and economical frameworks of her society and as such is unable to be the author of her own life. This is highlighted in Chapter 22 when Charlotte comments on not only the economic predicament of herself but also all women in her context, 'I am not a romantic you know. I never was. I ask only a comfortable home... I am convinced that my chance of happiness with him is fair as most people can boast on entering the marriage state.'. Hence, Charlotte is able to stand beside Elizabeth as a juxtaposing image - the cold, harsh and undesirable female circumstances poignantly exacerbating Elizabeth's fortune in finding such a desirable partner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)