Pride and Prejudice (1 Viewer)

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I know this opens tomorrow, but i wanted to start the thread first...

who is going to see this?

I am going, just to be insenced at the fact that the director is trying to turn the story into some sort of dramatic soap opera style....

the trailer has offically lowered my expectations

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
David, Margaret and Roger Ebert- the 3 critics whose reviews I most regularly read have all said very positive things about it. Ebert even went so far as to suggest a likely Oscar nod for Knightley.

I don't think most people would have terribly high expectations of it in any case. Everyone seems to love the BBC mini series so much that this glossy new adaptation (sans Colin Firth) would almost inevitably have been perceived as a step down.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
just came back from watching it !!! :D :D :D :D :D

I love it! Yeh yeh call me disloyal or whatever but my God! This Darcy is sooo much more to my liking! His sad clear blue eyes and the floppy hair and he looks taller than Colin Firth (Colin is probably taller but Mathew looks taller in this film)!!

The whole thing was so rustic and I was abit "errr" but grew to like it. Strangely, from watching the trailer, I had lowest hopes for the casting of Jane and Mr Bennett and they end up being my favourite actors in this movie. They might as well have cut out Wickham cos he appeared for what? Like 3 mins all up! But it's crucial to the storyline of course...

I loved all the sudden appearances of Mr Darcy. Sometimes it was a little too fast paced and hasty but still good :D

Alright, so the new Darcy accounts for about 85% of my raving but who cares. I'm gonna watch it again and see how long my budget can last out before the DVD comes :D

Edit: on subject of Kiera Knightley...she was better than expected but everyone will have different opinions on that

Ellie-Bee

HSC
Saw this yesterday. Much better than expected but by no means anywhere near as awesome as the BBC version. It moves heaps fast and cuts out a lot of Wickham which is important in my opinion.
Keira Knightley was much much much better than I thought she would be but there was still really annoying parts of her doing her pout-y face. She was ok.
Mr Darcy was good (but Colin Firth owns that part) but there wasn't a lot of him in it. It seemed to be all Elizabeth Bennett.
I really really liked Jane and Mr Bingley. Awesome casting.

Yeah overall it was pretty good, way better than I was expecting!

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
i think i mite be the only heterosexual guy who wants to watch it....

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i loved it! ok, so i mainly love the new dracy but overall, i would watch it again. Of course, i still love the BBC version but i love the new rustic feel and expansive shots of the engish countryside and everything

i love a mopey, sad, droopy eyed darcy over colin firth (blasphemy i know!) :D

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i saw it yesterday.

i really liked it! wickham was hot... and wasn't in it enough (he looked like orlando bloom)! ummm i didn't really like mr darcy - colin firth was much better! matthew mcfayden looked too depressed and like he was going to burst into tears at any moment. jane was really good. and i really liked keira knightly in it too - much better than i thought!

hehe bingley was good, if moronic. and mr collins was so small and funny. i didn't like the way it suddenly ended, but i guess it's better than ending it all cheesily with the weddings. yes well... that's my thoughts!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
urgh wickham was hot but wasn't...wickham :confused:

Yeah Jane was verrry good and so was Mr Bennet I reckon

Love sad Darcy with his "I just came back from my best friend's funeral" expression LOL

keira knightley's lizzy just wasn't good enough for mr darcy damnit!

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
and who ARENT "metrosexuals" ???they dont count ..theyre half gay...

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
OMFG I saw this last night. (maybe spoilers follow... i dont know what you'd consider a spoiler because its not like nobody knows what the ending is)

a) why the fuck did they cast mathew Macfayden as mr darcy? he did not have enough presence to be a mr darcy. Sure, i get the whole shyness thing but still..... IT"S JUST WRONG! And I think he actually looked shorter than Colin Firth
b) they set it in the wrong time period. Note PRIDE AND PREJUDICE IS NOT GEORGIAN PEOPLE!
c) I just couldn't get over the end. I was moderately enjoying it up until that point. OMG I felt so robbed. besides... who goes striding around the country undressed for heavens sake!
d) they made the whole elizabeth/mr darcy thing too sexually charged. they appeared to have no decorum.
e) lydia bennet was to annoying for words. I know that she is an annoying character, but this actress took it over the top
f) Keira looked like her arms were about to break off at any moment.
g) mr Bennet looked senile. which is wrong
h) the music was all wrong. Music was too brooding, i think, It definately wasn't regency, or even georgian music. It was too romantic period for me.
i) Mr bingley was way too dumb.

undecided about mr Colins.....

but the good things were
a)the actresses accurately portrayed the ages of the bennet girls, moreso than the mini series
b) the rustic look was probably more true of the time
c) i think the first proposal was done rather well
d) Judi Dench was great.
e) i really liked georgiana, although her part was so miniscule
f) mr wickham was apretty-boy, so you could understand why all the ladies fell for him

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i love the first proposal (cough. cue rain) but i felt like they were about to punch each other. Tone down the anger lol

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it is worth it if you appreciate it in its own right as a 2 hr film rather than if you sit there and endlessly compare it to the BBC miniseries

appreciating Matthew McFadyen's Darcy helps too ;)

i read the book again last night :D it is probably my 2nd fav novel of Jane Austen's after S&S

Ellie-Bee

HSC
llamalope said:
OMFG I saw this last night. (maybe spoilers follow... i dont know what you'd consider a spoiler because its not like nobody knows what the ending is)

a) why the fuck did they cast mathew Macfayden as mr darcy? he did not have enough presence to be a mr darcy. Sure, i get the whole shyness thing but still..... IT"S JUST WRONG! And I think he actually looked shorter than Colin Firth
b) they set it in the wrong time period. Note PRIDE AND PREJUDICE IS NOT GEORGIAN PEOPLE!
c) I just couldn't get over the end. I was moderately enjoying it up until that point. OMG I felt so robbed. besides... who goes striding around the country undressed for heavens sake!
d) they made the whole elizabeth/mr darcy thing too sexually charged. they appeared to have no decorum.
e) lydia bennet was to annoying for words. I know that she is an annoying character, but this actress took it over the top
h) the music was all wrong. Music was too brooding, i think, It definately wasn't regency, or even georgian music. It was too romantic period for me.

but the good things were
a)the actresses accurately portrayed the ages of the bennet girls, moreso than the mini series
d) Judi Dench was great.
f) mr wickham was apretty-boy, so you could understand why all the ladies fell for him

I hated the amount of 'music and reflection' scenes that went on - one minute there was dialogue the next there was a shot of Lizzie wandering the wilderness. Lame.

I thought Mr Collins was really well done. And I liked Bingley. It was hard to really like any of the characters because it was so short and there was no time for character development. :)

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
music and reflection are taken from sense and sensability movie with emma thompson. blame her. She's credited with them in the closing credits.

but the music in general pissed me off because it wasn't even close to regency.

And it's be nice if the film directors did a bit of research, and realised they'd set the movie in georgian period, and not regency, like it is supposed to be. Idiots.

the second proposal was handled very badly. The only thing romantic about mr darcy was his f****** coat, and he wasn't even dressed. NO ONE WOULD EVER DO THAT BECAUSE THAT'S SO MORALLY INAPPROPRIATE...back then, anyway

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
did you study the minseries in EE1 in the HSC by any chance llamalope?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
llamalope said:

but the good things were
d) Judi Dench was great.
I think it's cute that you say the music is "all wrong" when you're comparing it to a book. With no music. And the movie is not going to follow the book EXACTLY (just like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). If you wanted an exact remake then make your own or go see one of those crap BBC versions.

roxy_chick

HSC
I LOVE jane Austen... and I LOVE Pride and prejudice...but i hated this movie...maybe its just cos they had to miss so much of it to fit it into two hours...I dont think that they should have bothered with a movie...the miniseries is a million times better...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
putting aside how much i love this new movie, i think it's great that they did not obviously try to just do a cheap rip off of the miniseries. its new and refreshing and people need to remember that it's two hrs so just try to enjoy both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)