Primary Ed/Arts? (1 Viewer)

jimjim

Hey there!! I'm looking around uni's at the moment and trying to figure out how I want to study Primary Ed. I know I'd love to go to usyd - and I was wondering, can you combine an arts degree and a primary education degree together? I have noooo clue whatsoever! Also, if I was to study just arts - I love history!! How many electives/courses are you allowed to take?! And are there a variety of history courses to choose from?! aaaaaand, one more thing :p.. if you study say.. 4 courses in semester 1; are you required to study a whole lot of different courses the following semester?! or are you allowed to continue to study the same course but at a higher level?

whoooa, i just read all of that! im sorry!! :p
thanks anyways for reading my rambles!!

moderngirl

HSC
hey i'm a first year art student. I know a few people doing secondary and primary education and they take arts subjects. For example they take two education subjects and then two arts subjects so its basically like arts except you take less arts subjects. I hope that makes sense.

Also if you just do arts then you can take 4subjects. (First year subjects are generally 6 credit points each and you need to take take units adding up to 24 per semester)

You can pick your four subjects from a list of choices from Part A list of subjects from the Arts Faculty (languages, english, history, etc) and you can also take one or two from Part B list from other faculties (chemistry, govt and international relations, psychology, maths - yeah even that although why someone would is crazy to me)

You can basically choose any combination of subjects you want from Part A and B provided you major in a subject from Part A. Generally a lot of first year stuff is prerequisites for second year. So yes you can choose different subjects but then you will be stuffed for second year. For example to continue with a 2000 level history you need to have completed 2 junior history subjects.

There is some choice available for history at sydney from modern history to ancient history to medieval history. I would say go to the open days at various uni's to find out what history subjects are available that cater for your taste if you plan to do a straight arts degree and want to major in history.

Wow i can't believe i typed all that, but yeh i know the frustration of wanting to find out about stuff but not being able to find someone who can give me some answers. Hope that clears up some queries.

jellybeenz

HSC
For Primary Education, its a bit different to Secondary- In Primary Education you only take 1 Arts subject and follow it throughout the degree- so if you love history, you can choose history as your Arts subject and the other 3 subjects are all your compulsary Primary Education subjects.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
jellybeenz said:
For Primary Education, its a bit different to Secondary- In Primary Education you only take 1 Arts subject and follow it throughout the degree- so if you love history, you can choose history as your Arts subject and the other 3 subjects are all your compulsary Primary Education subjects.
yeah. like my elective is sociology, which is an arts subject. you do your elective for the first 2 years, and in 4th year you can go back to it and major in it or something.

if you want to do arts with primary teaching, you can either go to uts which has a bachelor of international studies/bachelor of education which will allow you to teach primary. macquarie also has a bachelor of arts/diploma of education, and i'm pretty sure you can do primary from there. i don't think unsw accepts primary students.

and if you're so interested in history, macquarie has an arts degree in ancient history. i don't know much about stuff like that at sydney though...

if you have any questions, ask cos it took me sooo long to figure out which primary degree i wanted to do.

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)