Principle of relativity question (1 Viewer)

RachelGreen

HSC
Hi guys, I wanted to ask for help with this question: Describe how the principle of relativity conflicts with the aether model of light?

I pretty much just explained what the principle of relativity is, but can't answer all of the question. Help?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
short version of how I would do it

principle of rleativity states speed of light constant

time and distance change to accomodate this

in aether model of light, the speed of light can change relative to aether

give example (light travelling through the aether wind would be slower or faster than c, as measured from earth)

this conflicts

aether is wrong

michelson morely says why

may not need as much detail depending on how many marks

RachelGreen

HSC
Hang on, I thought special theory of relativity stated speed of light constant not principle of relativity. Cause Principle of Relativity stated by Newton I think, he said that laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference and that there is no absolute frame of reference

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hang on, I thought special theory of relativity stated speed of light constant not principle of relativity. Cause Principle of Relativity stated by Newton I think, he said that laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference and that there is no absolute frame of reference
aren't these the key postulates of SR?

I kind of assumed that they were the same thing for HSC purposes

I might be totally wrong though ahah

RachelGreen

HSC
Nah you're not totally wrong, like Principle of Relativity didn't say anything about the constancy of speed of light 'c', Einstein did in his STOR. Principle of Relativity mentioned what I wrote above, but Idk how it conflicts with aether model of light transmission.
Is it because aether model of light has an absolute frame of reference thus conflicting with principle of relativity which states there's no absolute reference of frame in which all motion can be measured relative to

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys, I wanted to ask for help with this question: Describe how the principle of relativity conflicts with the aether model of light?

I pretty much just explained what the principle of relativity is, but can't answer all of the question. Help?
One of the things about principle of relativity was that it states there is no such thing as an absolute inertial frame of reference (I.e., nothing in the universe is inherently stationary) whereas, the aether was touted as being such an absolute frame of reference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)