• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

private ( catholic ) vs. PUBLIC (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I see that "weird attitude" in state school colleges of mine........... I dont rely on propaganda to influence me- Its easy to find out the finances if you look hard enough+ they are actually published on TV and in papers. Its just the politically motivated teachers (usually hardcore unionists in the state system who either dont teach or are from the top selective schools!) that promote this line.

The possibilty of promotion (ie Im applying for a head of dept job) +its really close to home!!!+if I get the job, I'll be able to coach school rugby again!

Laugh about the peaches and cream.. expectations are *generally* highrer in the non state system (not to say public teachers have low expectations) but the principals really get their pound of flesh and the parents tend to be more demanding as they are financially paying for their kids education . Even the paperwork/administration situation and day-to-day adminstration (eg taking other peoples classes when they are sick-you should hear the "switchers" complain about this one!) is different.

I would really doubt that many state teachers know what it is like in the *typical* non-gov't school (except those who have been around of course)

Last edited:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snapperhead
dont know about the less bit....... think its *just* a little more (per student/day)
:)
LOL

(stoke the flames..........)
yeah but dont catholic/private schols have to build/air con their own buildings while public get them from govt?

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
yeah but dont catholic/private schols have to build/air con their own buildings while public get them from govt?
I'll let you know when we get them from the Govt. Right now, our new building comes to a grand total of a leaky roof, and the hottest rooms in the school. Air Con? The staff get it.

I've been to a Christian School, it wasn't too bad, but I didn't feel great. It was just something you live with, and are used to.

Currently I'm attending a Public School, with the option to attend a Private School (yes glycerine, you know me), and I stand by my option to stay at Fort Street.

I don't mean to offend anyone from Catholic Schools (example virgin^sexy) or anyone from Public Schools (example glycerine), but as support has gone with everything, the public school has, over all, been better. I still believe that school is what you make of it, what you bring out of it, I have no real argument for either.

Summary: I agree with glycerine.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hi *person in my grade*. hahaha.

basically, each system has their ups and down, but if a school is already getting usually at least 4x the external funding that a state school gets (meaning from parents etc) then doesn't it make sense that wards of the state (haha, delibrete irony) should get more funding to even it out? kind of how taxes are *supposed* to be?

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
also just curious, can we compare public school 'voluntary contributions' and private school fees? I'm in yr 11 and all up mine came to $570

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
private school for yr7-10 over 4000 per yr for fees
pub school in yr 11 and 12 $200-300 per yr for fees

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
basically, each system has their ups and down, but if a school is already getting usually at least 4x the external funding that a state school gets (meaning from parents etc) then doesn't it make sense that wards of the state (haha, delibrete irony) should get more funding to even it out? kind of how taxes are *supposed* to be?
Imho, yes. But sadly its not how it works. We need politicians who think like us. :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Calculon
most schools (both systems) "fund" things like this if they are not included in the original tender (bloody bean counters.....) but yeah, generally we fund raise for those things most would consider a necessity

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glycerine
hi *person in my grade*. hahaha.

Cant speak for the private system but *usually* the figures quoted for catholic schools include staff wages (yes, we are paid by the govt as well- via funding to the CEO's)(State school figures strangely dont include these figures (unionist propaganda??) so of course the figures are skew-wiff). School fees in the Parramatta Diocese are pooled into 1 "account" (along with state and federal funding) and the money is distributed as the CEO sees fit- usually spent of building projects, administration and maintenance (of which there is a massive waiting list that is prioritised) (which can run into the 100,000's of dollars if not $$millions/school)
l believe the state schools run under a similar "administration" model with the regions be responsible for funding etc..Dont really hear too many positive things about regional administration. Maybe what they say about public servants is true..........

You have to keep in mind that there is a category system in place for non-govt schools (out of 12 or 14 with cat 1 schools being at the top of the heap). Your average Catholic school (who bears the brunt of this publicity due to sheer numbers) is actually aroung the cat 9 or 10 ie they are not exactly the best funded schools, so you shouldnt lump all non-govt schools into the one basket. Just pick on the cat 1-5 schools as they deserve it!! (Most Politicans seem to remember this around election time as they change their tunes very quickly)

IMO-I think the real criminal in all of this is the building industry!!

Last edited:
HSC
I've been at a catholic school my whole schooling life. I wouldn't want to go anywhere, partly because the public schools round here are dodgy, but mainly because they teach me a hell of a lot here and give me the chance to do any subject I want to. I love my school. GO CATHOLIC SCHOOLS!

MouNtY

Originally posted by Sarzzabelle
I've been at a catholic school my whole schooling life. I wouldn't want to go anywhere, partly because the public schools round here are dodgy, but mainly because they teach me a hell of a lot here and give me the chance to do any subject I want to. I love my school. GO CATHOLIC SCHOOLS!
I'm pretty sure that public schools would have a wider variety of subjects because a larger percenatge of australias schooling population do attend public schools. But i know that the school i go to has a wider range of subjects than alot of other schools in our area and pretty much the district. so yeah. But i do still think that school is what you make it. And just as long as it suits you and your learning, then i dont really think you should have to concern yourselves with what school is better. I go to a public school and i reckon it's full hectic aye. LoL

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
I'm in year 11 right now but I want to change to Cheltenham Girls High School (its rank is pretty high as a public school) see http://users.on.net/unix/2002.pdf
I'm currently studying in a all girl cathoic school and I don't think the money my parents are paying are worth it ($1600 per term) since it's not even on the top 120 schools list!!! (Although the discipline is great.. i can bet it would be better than normal public schools..)
SO, who goes to Cheltenham Girls High School or knows anything about it? If not how about Carlingford High?

^___^
HSC
if i were u, go for cheltenham

its a good public school and of course, if u get into the right group of ppl, u'll have lots of reason to study for

carlingford high used to be good..like 5yrs ago, but lately they kinda.."dropped" down...dunno

elizarose

Ok my opinion on this subject (i believe has come from a fairly level head who has seen 'it' from both sides). In my 14 years of schooling i have been to two private and two public they have been Eastwood Public, Arden Anglican, Cheltenham girls and Monte Sant Angelo. And personally the private school system suits me! Coming from a private school into Cheltenham Girls High was not a good mpove for me as i had adopted alll the silly little morals and beliefs that Arden had and i had you might call'virgin ears' and was sa typical stuck up private school kid. But in terms of the benefits i got from Arden my parents achieved their objecytive for me, to achieve great academic results (mind you through some gentle shoves from the school). From Cheltenham i have moved to Monte and have now been there for my 5th year (i am in yr 12 now), monte is a catholic independant school and i love it. Its in north sydney and even though i travel foir an hour each day its worth it. Monte provides for my needs in every way and the school fees are reasonable (in terms of private school fees) about $8000 a year. There are four kids in my family all of which have finnished school at a private school, my older brother went to St Joseph's College which costs about $20. 000 a year and he was there from year seven, so you do the sums. My parents have sent us to private schools because they put an extremely high value on education. I'm not saying that you get what you paid for every where you go but at Joeys and Monte my family has. When i said that my parents placed a high value on education i didn'yt mean that you won't get value for money from a public school i just men for the facilities available, sports on offer, teachers, pastoral care system and the fact that my school is 130 years old and has a very successful heritage is another issue. I reiterate that for the amount that my parents are paying they ARE getting what they pay for.

elizarose

My school also doesn't have an academic entrance exam, so it is accessible to all students (those who can afford it) unlike some other private schools which may only take the top 60 or 70%. My school accepts those who struggle and those who have learning difficulties too!

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
I have gone to a catholic school right through and although i despise having to do a religion course for the HSC cos i think that we should have to do it if we were interested ....its not to bad fees are pretty low about $2500 a year or something cos we arent a private school and get gov funding or something like that. Its pretty tight knit when you come to think of it...we get along with the teachers who dont treat us like pupils all the time but like adults .... In our area there are 2 public highschools on either side of us so in the morning they catch our bus..... i dont expect them to stand up for me and most of them stand up for the public - the rude ones that come in every bunch HOWEVER (refering to the first few pages) the people who really shit me on the buses are the old people ...... buses sit something like 50 people .....NOT when there are 25 people sitting on the edge of the seat with nothing next to the windows ....THEY expect us to get up for them ...but none of them offer us a seat when they see us causing more damage with our school bags while standing then when we are sitting THEN they have the nerve to complain that we knocked them........ HEY GRANNY it wouldnt happen if you let us SIT DOWN ...common courtesy goes 2 ways not just the one

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Personally, id go to private, as the resources they provide you with are far superior than the public system. with the results, if u work ur butt off ur gonna get great marks anyway..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)