• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private school fees (2 Viewers)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Why do private schools, still ask for a volunatry donation, when they are charging $20k a year? My bro just got his term account bill, $1k and they still ask for voluntary donation :mad:

astro

HSC
$20000?....i didn't think it costs that much to go to a private school....or am i reading wrong.....they probably have superficial reasons for the *voluntary* donation......

a little off the topic....but I go to a public school and they ask for a $10 *voluntary* donation from each family

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
it amounts to about that. $16000 in actual school fees, then other crap like lunch, sports fees, other crap etc..... They are always asking for money like Support the Tennis Club, Sell these raffle tickets....It gets so annoying!

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
well the money in school fees is for teachers salary, maintenance, i know at my school we have heavy security, electricity, heating and all that comes with that.
then the kids do extra curricular things that are offered at private schools such as you saying that tennis club. i know my school plans to renovate soon, so they funraise
why does it annoy you?
if you dont want to give, you dont, thats why its a donation and not a fee

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
we have a voluntary building contribution.. $100.. cuz we had a 6 million dollar refurbishment and they are still paying it off..
when u pay for school fees.. its basically paying off salaries equipment and things.. and if ur school fees were paying for the things they need donations for.. then they wouldnt be asking you for it :p
i dont get how $1000 a term equates to $20000 a year :|
oh wait i just saw your other post..
umm sporting activities and lunch dont come to 16000... thats like more than $300 a week? 5 star dining or wat?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Umm, Term account is completely different than Fees. Term accounts are like for Excursions, books, lunch, bus..etc. I didnt say the sporting activities and lunch come to $16000, did I?

Astro: Yes, but boarding is like an additional $15k

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
wrx said:
Why do private schools, still ask for a volunatry donation, when they are charging $20k a year? My bro just got his term account bill, $1k and they still ask for voluntary donation :mad:
Thats what it costs my sister and I for half a year! Not to mention building fund fees! Government funding is a pittance!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
we are public and our voluntary cont. is about $35, plus then we play a printing fee of like 10 and a paper fee of 15 and a library fee of who knows. and the list goes on

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
wrx said:
lol, and abbotsleigh has crap buildings :p
but the insides are pretty decent, which is what matters at the end of the day really...we spend more time inside school buildings than out of them. The salmon pink chapel, however, really needs a facelift.

Cicciolina

HSC
Private school fees have always been a little out of whack imho. And this year my school charged everyone $150 on their accounts just to join the Old Girls Union - whoopdeedoo. Or they send letters asking parents to donate money for new school gates or rowing boats or whatever, and then all the parent's names who've donated get printed in a nice booklet which they send around to everybody :rolleyes: I have no idea why they do it, plus on top have enormous fees. :S Government doesn't seem to have helped really, but then maybe it actually does, I have no idea.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
porge said:
well the money in school fees is for teachers salary, .....
cro_angel said:
... its basically paying off salaries ....
school fees dont pay salaries. The govt does or havent you been watching the news.....:p
LOL

BTW...I think contributions/donations are
1) bad
2) indicative or how poorly funded schools are...
3)indicative of how badly managed schools are.
I'll leave that one up to you....

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
no i havent
i dont have time for tv
please indulge me

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
Cicciolina said:
and then all the parent's names who've donated get printed in a nice booklet which they send around to everybody :rolleyes:
i wonder how much money they'd save if they didnt print out the nice booklets? lol. At our school, they asked people to sponsor individual chairs in the auditorium, and then the chairs got little metal plates put on their backs whith the sponsor's names on them. and when they re-upholstered the chairs, all the names got mixed around, so they had to re do the plans of the auditorium so people could find 'their' seats. it's not like you even got to sit in the seats or anything. u just ggot ur name on the back. :rolleyes:

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Navjeet said:
i wonder how much money they'd save if they didnt print out the nice booklets? lol. At our school, they asked people to sponsor individual chairs in the auditorium, and then the chairs got little metal plates put on their backs whith the sponsor's names on them. and when they re-upholstered the chairs, all the names got mixed around, so they had to re do the plans of the auditorium so people could find 'their' seats. it's not like you even got to sit in the seats or anything. u just ggot ur name on the back. :rolleyes:
uh....elitism is what we do best :D

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
porge said:
no i havent
i dont have time for tv
please indulge me
Teachers going on strike? State schools whinging about 'private' schools funding? Theres an election coming up? The numerous threads on this board? The endless stream of propaganda coming coming out of all education systems and being distributed via schools (eg the public funding signs you see on state school fences/gates)
Not all on TV but methinks someone is living in a bubble if you are not aware of the whole funding for schools/teachers pay issue!!
LOL
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)