• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private school fees (1 Viewer)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
snapperhead said:
school fees dont pay salaries. The govt does or havent you been watching the news.....:p
LOL
i know they dont pay for total salaries cuz its no where near enough.. so your saying that no money that we pay in school fees goes to our teachers?

Cicciolina

HSC
Navjeet said:
i wonder how much money they'd save if they didnt print out the nice booklets? lol. At our school, they asked people to sponsor individual chairs in the auditorium, and then the chairs got little metal plates put on their backs whith the sponsor's names on them. and when they re-upholstered the chairs, all the names got mixed around, so they had to re do the plans of the auditorium so people could find 'their' seats. it's not like you even got to sit in the seats or anything. u just ggot ur name on the back. :rolleyes:
We have the plaques on the seats too! And our theatre's called the Packer theatre :rolleyes: That just about tops it I think :p They seem to spend quite a bit of money on absolutely ridiculous stuff, eg in the maths block they had a whole wall made up of those glass bricks, and they once spent almost 2 terms pulling them down to put normal walls up :?:

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
Cicciolina said:
We have the plaques on the seats too! And our theatre's called the Packer theatre :rolleyes: That just about tops it I think :p They seem to spend quite a bit of money on absolutely ridiculous stuff, eg in the maths block they had a whole wall made up of those glass bricks, and they once spent almost 2 terms pulling them down to put normal walls up :?:
hahaha, yeah....at our school, they renovated every holidays pretty much....just when you were used to the new layout of the school...WHAM!...they'd slug you with a new one to figure out. I dont think I'd recognise the place if I went back! lol

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:
Teachers going on strike? State schools whinging about 'private' schools funding? Theres an election coming up? The numerous threads on this board? The endless stream of propaganda coming coming out of all education systems and being distributed via schools (eg the public funding signs you see on state school fences/gates)
Not all on TV but methinks someone is living in a bubble if you are not aware of the whole funding for schools/teachers pay issue!!
LOL
:)
ok so public schools on strike, im talknig bout priv schools, i havent been on no strike. and what has that got to do with ours fees not paying salaries?
i dont know how it works
but does the governement pay my priv school teachers salaries?
if so, then why do we pay so much to go to school?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Navjeet said:
i wonder how much money they'd save if they didnt print out the nice booklets? lol. At our school, they asked people to sponsor individual chairs in the auditorium, and then the chairs got little metal plates put on their backs whith the sponsor's names on them. and when they re-upholstered the chairs, all the names got mixed around, so they had to re do the plans of the auditorium so people could find 'their' seats. it's not like you even got to sit in the seats or anything. u just ggot ur name on the back. :rolleyes:
we got these bricks in our playground (on the ground) and you can get your name on one for $50 which goes down in school history.. now we can walk all over our teachers lol
they were fully trying to promote it but they didnt get too many sold.. maybe around 200 but yeh

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
@cro_angel...as far as I know in the state system, the Catholic systemic system and the vast majority of the independant systems (if union literature and govt funding details are any indication) no school fees are used to pay teachers wages. Admin. staff Im pretty sure are in the same boat but ppl like canteen managers *may* be paid by the school in the indie system. Other positions like maintenance *may* be in the same boat (in the indie system). To be honest, total school fees wouldnt even go close to salaries and the various running budgets of a typical school (eg most schools are multi million $$ organisations when you add everything up)
@porge...Catholic schools went on strike as well. The indie schools for some reason didnt but I think that is because the salaries issue didnt effect the majority of them (and no..they dont get paid more). The indie schools are doing someting different which Im still trying to get my head around (I start in the indie system next week).
In the smaller indie schools, yes the govt pays most if not all of the wages (eg at my new school, salaries are mandated by the IEU so this indicates govt involvement). I would assume the higher school fees are for the things that most indie schools have that Catholic and state schools dont have...but we wont get into that as it seems to be a sore point.

There are a few schools that Im aware of that school fees do contribute to salaries but these are the true independant schools where teacher negiotiate their wages eg Redham and the American International School.
IMO...the amount of money some indie schools ask for is a bit much (high school fees + all the extras) but then, you do get what you pay for withregards to opportunities, resources etc..... but again, this is another touchy issue!!

Maybe you should ask...most indie schools are run along business lines so they have to produce accounting type stuff (very technical I know) at the end of the financial year that I believe all parents have the right to look at..... would be interesting.
Mind if I ask which school??

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
cro_angel said:
we got these bricks in our playground (on the ground) and you can get your name on one for $50 which goes down in school history.. now we can walk all over our teachers lol
they were fully trying to promote it but they didnt get too many sold.. maybe around 200 but yeh
my brothers old school had that, but then they repaved the area a year later.

Gemstone

Private school fees. Yeah it just pays for all the extra stuff like we've just got a new hall which has a full gym in it with TV's which play music videos and stuff in it, and we've got a computer lab for each section of the school. Though listening to the price of all your fees they do sound high. My schools K-12 and my fees are only $12,000 for the year. Though that doesn't include excursions and all the year 12 expenses like jerseys and other stuff.

HSC
I go to a private school and my fees are only bout $2k a year.... guess i am in the country but

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
check out the SMH today they have like an article abt private school fees.
and how some students are rejected because there are limited of spaces but huge demand.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I'm guessing that Snapperhead teaches in either the independent/private/catholic systems.

"State school teachers whinging about their salaries..."

????

I'd like to see you live in a household funded by two state school teachers.
Teachers are paid crap, no matter what system they are in.

Private school fees, I dunno where it all goes...buildings, technology, publicity...what else?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Umm he's taught in all 3, catholic, private and public schools.

grassrecords

quit your whingin we pay 5000 + each term and we need to pay some "voluntary" sickness thing and a building fee

zhongie

HSC
Private school teachers don't go on strike because they don't need to...the independent school automatically adjust salaries that have been bartered from the public/catholic teachers' indsutrial relations action.

And yes, our school has been slowly dedicating bits of buildings to people who make big donations...hence, the top floor of our ILC(what everyone calls the library) is now the Butcher Room. Lovely.

Plus, we pay $60 in TECHNOLOGY fees. I mean, what the hell is that?! How much does printing cost these days?! Stupid, stupid school radio taking up all the funds...a school radio...and then we had to get a new pool, so they 'sold' tiles and lanes, and waterpolo goals and diving board...so everonye has a plaque on everything. And all the donors have their names up on this huge wall. Private school parenting is all about one-upmanship. If you are a 'member' it's not good enough, you have to be a 'fellow' or a 'benefactor'...

And then, our school auctioned off a dinner made by our principal. Who would want that?!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Skillo said:
I'm guessing that Snapperhead teaches in either the independent/private/catholic systems.

"State school teachers whinging about their salaries..."

????

I'd like to see you live in a household funded by two state school teachers.
Teachers are paid crap, no matter what system they are in.

Private school fees, I dunno where it all goes...buildings, technology, publicity...what else?
Its nice that you are defensive of teachers but please dont tell me/imply that I dont know whats its like as Im living it.....As Xayma said, Ive taught in all 3 and my comment was based upon the State Teachers Union literature that I receive as well as their comments in the news+ my experience. Also, I do live in a household with two teachers (albeit no children) and if you read my posts, you would realise that I agree (and even push the point whenever someone states the wrong thing) that all teachers (except those who negiotiate their salaries) get paid badly (especially for the work they have to do...see my comments in the politics sections...you have to remember I am a teacher who gets paid badly for the work I do and the training I have and whilst I am in the indie system, my base pay rate is slightly lower than that of my state school/Catholic school counterparts- lucky I get paid a co-ordinators wage!).

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
cro_angel said:
i know they dont pay for total salaries cuz its no where near enough.. so your saying that no money that we pay in school fees goes to our teachers?
Christmas parties...

Heheh i saw those bricks at your school the other week. did i walk on top of you? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)