Private Schools (1 Viewer)

heyhey!

HSC
N/A
Fruitcake05 said:
I don't understand why some people pay $15000 a year to go to a private school............In the end it all comes down to what you put it in.......If you have the moeny why not spend it on tutors and books?

thats a stupid way of thinking. Most people go (i know i do) to a private school because of the atmosphere - u dnt have to put up with kids going to jail, doing drugs, taking alky at school and teachers that give you the shits. Apart from all this, everything is way more organised and facilities are way better. Im not saying that public schools are bad - but for me, i think that the competition at a private school is *higher* than that at a public school, and so drives me to do better.

Ahh, thats my 2 cents.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
??? Wow you must go to a very different private school to most. Half my school consists of either druggies or dealers. True, most of them don't go to jail but I know a few who've been arrested, just for doing stupid things because they could. The facilities are better but you get the same standard of teaching; the teachers just get paid more. The atmosphere is important... but where public schools have petrol sniffers, private schools (specially the ultra-rich ones) have cocaine sniffers. And just cos a school is private doesn't mean its academic standard is very high. I guess the main difference between public and private is you can demand better quality education because that's what you're paying for; in a public school you have no choice.

ishq

brown?
HSC
heyhey! said:
but for me, i think that the competition at a private school is *higher* than that at a public school, and so drives me to do better.

How can the competition at private schools be *higher* than that at public schools when it is the former which has a select student body? Public schools open their doors to all kinds of people, with a broad range of skills and talents. Even those who *gasps* "do drugs", have "been to jail" and "get alky". Are you implying that these people are less talented?

Velox is right. This is a very subjective thread.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
heyhey! said:
thats a stupid way of thinking. Most people go (i know i do) to a private school because of the atmosphere - u dnt have to put up with kids going to jail, doing drugs, taking alky at school and teachers that give you the shits. Apart from all this, everything is way more organised and facilities are way better. Im not saying that public schools are bad - but for me, i think that the competition at a private school is *higher* than that at a public school, and so drives me to do better.

Ahh, thats my 2 cents.
haha now we see the other extremist side.

Can't people settle on the idea that we will go where we/our parents want us to go because of varying factors etc ?

Ironic thing is, is that many people consider private school people to be spoonfed. Look at "heyheys" posts and you'll see a perfect example of that ;)

Last edited:
F

Fruitcake05

heyhey! said:

Ahh, thats my 2 cents.
How is it stupid? Well the bad kids drop out, problem solved, and there good to laugh at, because you know that they aren't going to go anywhere. The standard of teaching is the same everywhere, so why pay 100 times as much? Just because you go to a private scholl it doesnt mean you get a good UAI, its what you do, not because you go to some fancy school.

richz

Fruitcake05 said:
I don't understand why some people pay $15000 a year to go to a private school............In the end it all comes down to what you put it in.......If you have the moeny why not spend it on tutors and books?
i know it is, but i went to a state school, in 7 and 8 and i am now at a private school. Private schools give you so many opportunities. They get you involved in sport and other after school activites. When i went to a state school, the atmosphere was poor. Lots of people bludged school, i even bludged some days too. Private schools, force me to go to school and also i am now more motivated to do work and achieve my goals.

arrested development
HSC
Murf said:
yes i agree atmosphere and the facilities are much better, i also think that the support given from the teachers is MUCH greater towards the students and considering i have been to both schools at oppisite ends of the scale then thats mi opinion i think its the parents and students descision and right to have the choice on where to go or send there kids...

murf

I don't know which public school you went to, but at my school the teachers give an incredible amount of support! My music teacher once offered to drive to my house (about an hour away) on a Sunday to give me a cd that I could've just waited till Monday to get! And all of my teachers go out of their way in their personal time to get anything for us, etc.....and they always make sure we know that they would do ANYTHING to help us!

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Fruitcake05 said:
so why pay 100 times as much? Just because you go to a private scholl it doesnt mean you get a good UAI, its what you do, not because you go to some fancy school.
thats bullshit - heyhey didn't say anything about getting higher marks at a private school. and guys, look at the top 200 schools from last years hsc. How many public (excluding selective) made it in to say the top 100? Compare this number with the private school number..

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
See selective schools are the best you can get (if you can get into them) - people who do well at school will do well at almost any school.

roadcone

HSC
Zoltan said:
people who do well at school will do well at almost any school.
that is so true. at the end of the day if you are committed to getting a good result and are willing to work hard to achieve it, you will go well no matter where you go public or private. i no a lot of my friends just bludge through thinking that everything will be handed to them on a plate just because mummy and daddy can pay for it.. so yes i dont think it matters where you go, but how hard you are prepared to work

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
xrtzx said:
i know it is, but i went to a state school, in 7 and 8 and i am now at a private school. Private schools give you so many opportunities. They get you involved in sport and other after school activites. When i went to a state school, the atmosphere was poor. Lots of people bludged school, i even bludged some days too. Private schools, force me to go to school and also i am now more motivated to do work and achieve my goals.
2nd that opinion

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
mmmm
teachers are a huge factor though

usually private schools have better teachers, cause they pay them more
but on that note, i was at a private school, had the shittiest physics teacher and ended up jsut learning out of the book
but for english n maths, the teachers made such a difference - especially english

Merro

I don't live in Byron, but I live in one of the to
HSC
I go to a private school, and there are great teachers, and not so great teachers. Its just the luck of the draw. My RE teacher said "that the day this school becomes snobby is the day I will die." or something along thoes lines. The one thing that irritates me about private schools (well, at least the religious private schools) is that they force you to go to mass and do religion. What happenes to the lost time in class so we can go and become 'spiritually enlightened'? I can tell you, most of the people in my year have about as much faith in God as a dog has love for a cat. Not much. (lets not get technical about the fact that some cats and dogs get along really well.) So their spiritual enlightenment was in fact extreme boredom for 50 mins, an utter waste of time. The fact that they make us do religion screwed my subject choices over as well. What they also failed to tell us is that they make us take eleven units in the HSC, not the minimum 10. So when I dropped a 2 unit subject, I had to pick up 2 unit RE. For a person who isn't exactly religious, it is a very tedious subject.

But there are the struggling families, but there are a lot of people who are rich, coming from a family who's father is a doctor and sent you a card for your 18th birthday and spends more money on his new wife's kids than he does on his own, the fact your friends get a car for their 16th birthday makes you sick.

I have a lot of public school friends, and by the sounds of it, their schooling system is quite similar to the private schools. However, there are differences, my public school friends happily swear at the teachers, and the teachers give as good as they get, things like that. But there are the rich people in public schools as well. One family I know has a mansion in the middle of nowhere, a 'property' (I think its a caravan) by the beach, 4 cars and large amounts of dvds, tvs, vcrs...

But should we measure a person by their wealth?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Merro, I agree with your question at the end...should we judge people by their parents' wealth? No. Until we're 18, we're legally under the care of our parents and they can make go to whatever school they wish to spend, or not spend, their money on. For that matter, I go to a private school where certainly not many people are loaded. Many of my friends' parents had to work very hard to give them the education they have, and same for mine.

Again, as mentioned previously by quite a few people, many people have as much money as the parents of private school students do, except they choose to spend their money on cars and holidays, and games and stuff.

It isn't nice to make generalisations about things like that, esp. the debate about private versus public education. I'm only adding to this thread to try to dispel the stereotype that everyone who goes to a private school is loaded.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I think its ridiculous how pothetic the Australian schooling system has gotten. Originally, the majority of private schools were created as centres for religious and cultural focus - e.g. religious and colleges. Whilst there were some schools which had some of the best teachers, the majority of teachers chose where they wanted to teach based on where they wanted to live

Now, thanks to capitalism and its assholic focus on User-Pays and its retraction of money from public education, the distribution of quality teachers has been more focused with money drawing many of the best.

I go to a middle-class, rural school. Whilst we have great teachers, we always lose our best to the heirachy of education: as soon as a gap forms in the higher-paying schools, there's a shuffle as a teacher goes from my school to a Sydney school and a teacher from a public school in my area to mine.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
they get longer holidays though...always wondered why :confused: like they're getting paid to teach by their own students, yet the find the need to take extra breaks? Like they should spend at least the same time on the job as public school teachers

shafqat

HSC
N/A
extra holidays are one of the best things abt private schools :cool:
seriously though, top private schools can buy great teachers
and not everyone who attends one is loaded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)