Probability...help! (1 Viewer)

L

Liz N

Can anyone help me with this question below?

A biologist is studying pattern of Male (M) and Female (F) children of families. A family type is designated by a code, for example, FMM denotes a family of 3 children of which the oldest is female and the other two are males. Note that FMM, MFM and MMF are different types. How many family types are there among families with at least one but not more than seven children?

Ans: 254

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
thats what i thought too, but i wasn't sure. ^_^

and probability is like that. :( Question looks simple after being shown solution. hmph

Anyway, try this one:
From a packet of mixed seed it was estimated that the probability of any seed planted yielding a white carnation was 0.02.
How many seeds must be planted for you to be at least 98% certain of obtaining a white carnation?

lol, first time i saw that, i was like :confused: . hehe, its a good question though, i think its the hardest they can ask in 2u maths. So it can certainly be asked in 3u. ^_^

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Liz N, this question could easily be extended to the general case (n children, n > 0), where the answer is 2<sup>n+1</sup> - 2.

Grey Council, good question. It is like:

2u HSC, 1988, q10(a) and
2u HSC, 1996, q3(b).

Everyone should have a go at this - you need to be able to solve exponential inequalities correctly.

Last edited:
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Liz N, this question could easily be extended to the general case (n children, n > 0), where the answer is 2<sup>n</sup> - 2.

Can you explain? I'm a bit poor at probability.:(

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Firstly, I've edited my post to correct my comment, as the general case is 2<sup>n+1</sup> - 2. Once that is done:

You could sum the GP 2 + 2<sup>2</sup> + 2<sup>3</sup> + ... + 2<sup>n</sup>.
We have a = 2, r = 2, and # terns = n. Hence, sum = 2(2<sup>n</sup> - 1) / (2 - 1) = 2 * 2<sup>n</sup> - 2 * 1 = 2<sup>n+1</sup> - 2.

Alternately, being a bit more rigorous, you could note that, for k children, there could be 0 boys, or 1 boy, or 2 boys, or ..., and hence there are
<sup>k</sup>C<sub>0</sub> + <sup>k</sup>C<sub>1</sub> + <sup>k</sup>C<sub>2</sub> + ... + <sup>k</sup>C<sub>k</sub> possibilities. This sums to 2<sup>k</sup>, by expanding (1 + x)<sup>k</sup> and taking x = 1. This allows you to generate the GP, and then proceed as before.

L

Liz N

CM_Tutor, I did your method too, but it turn out to be complicated and errors. When I did again, I realise I done a silly mistake.

:( I hate silly mistakes!

Grey council, whats the answer for that question? I did it, but wasn't sure if my answer was right.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Grey Council
From a packet of mixed seed it was estimated that the probability of any seed planted yielding a white carnation was 0.02.
How many seeds must be planted for you to be at least 98% certain of obtaining a white carnation?
Let the number of seeds be n.

Now the probability of no white carnation after n seeds is 2% or 0.02
Now the probability of no white carnation after 1 seed is 0.98

Therefore 0.02=0.98<sup>n</sup>
log 0.02=log 0.98<sup>n</sup>
log 0.02=n log 0.98
n=log 0.02/log0.98
n=194 (rounding up because it is at least)

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Xayma has the correct answer (as did GWB), but the question really should be done using an inequality, and so a better answer (IMO) would be:

From n seeds, P(at least 1 white carnation) = 1 - P(no white carnations) = 1 - 0.98<sup>n</sup>

We want P(at least 1 white carnation) > 98 %
So, 1 - 0.98<sup>n</sup> > 0.98
0.02 > 0.98<sup>n</sup>
ln 0.02 > ln 0.98<sup>n</sup>
ln 0.02 > n * ln 0.98
ln 0.02 / ln 0.98 < n, as ln 0.98 < 0
n > 193.63 ...

So, we must plant 194 (or more) seeds to be at least 98 % certain of producing at least 1 white carnation.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
sorry, was away during weekend.

But yes, that is correct. Obviously, CM_Tutor did it. :D

and I like that question too. Glad you liked it.

L

Liz N

Heres another question...

Five of the 7 letters of the word CRICKET are selected and arranged in a row. How many different arrangements are possibe?

Im not sure if the answer is 1320 coz there is no solution.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Liz N, I agree with you - I think it is 1320 because:

there are 5! words that can be made using the letters R, I, K, E and T

there are <sup>5</sup>C<sub>4</sub> * 5! words that can be made using a C and four of the letters R, I, K, E and T

there are <sup>5</sup>C<sub>3</sub> * 5! / 2! words that can be made using both C's and three of the letters R, I, K, E and T

So, total number of words = 5! + <sup>5</sup>C<sub>4</sub> * 5! + <sup>5</sup>C<sub>3</sub> * 5! / 2! = 1320

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
nice question that. :)

Its question 7/8 from a 4u paper though. lol

Last edited:
L

Liz N

Guys can u plz help me with this question:

Find the number of possible arrangements and selections of 4 letters of the word PROPORTION.

Ans: arrangements-758, selections- 53

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
# selections

There are <sup>6</sup>C<sub>4</sub> = 15 selections with 4 different letters, as there are 6 letters to choose from (P, R, O, T, I and N).

There are <sup>3</sup>C<sub>1</sub> * <sup>5</sup>C<sub>2</sub> = 30 selections with 3 different letters, as 1 of 3 possible letters (P, R, O) will appear twice, and two other letters are chosen from T, I, N, and whichever two from P, R and O were not chosen as the double letter.

If there are only two different letters, then there are <sup>3</sup>C<sub>2</sub> = 3 selections possible with 2 letters repeated twice (ie PPRR, for example), and <sup>5</sup>C<sub>1</sub> = 5 selections with one letter appearing 3 times.

Thus, the total number of selections possible = 15 + 30 + 3 + 5 = 53

# arrangements

To count arrangements, we must look at all arrangements possible for each selection. I get this to be:

<sup>6</sup>C<sub>4</sub> * 4! + <sup>3</sup>C<sub>1</sub> * <sup>5</sup>C<sub>2</sub> * 4! / 2! + <sup>3</sup>C<sub>1</sub> * 4! / (2!)<sup>2</sup> + <sup>5</sup>C<sub>1</sub> * 4! / 3! = 360 + 360 + 18 + 20 = 758, as expected.

L

Liz N

Im stuck on this question... can anyone help?

If over a certain period of the year, rain falls at random and an average of 12 days in every 30, find the probability that
a) the first three days on a given week will be fine and the remainder wet
b) rain will fall on just 3 days of a given week,
c) at least 3 days in a given week will be fine?

Ans: 0.0055, 0.2903, 0.9037

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)