• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Probability of achieving atar >98 with first term results? (1 Viewer)

scarlet112

HSC
So I've had a shocker of a first assessment period and was wondering the probability of attaining an atar > 98.

My ranks and percentage counted towards internal assessment:
English Adv: 1/76 (30%)
English Ext. 1: 1/11 (30%)
Legal Studies: 2/40 (20%)
Maths Ext 1: 5/13 (20%)
Maths Ext 2: =3/6 (20%)
Chemistry: 11/37 (15%)
Physics: ? (Haven't received yet, though predicting top 3 out of 18) (15%)

I was extremely disappointed with chemistry and maths, as I usually get top 3 rank in all subjects. I have heard that ranks are everything in internal assessments and despite this first term, is it likely that I can pull my socks up enough to achieve greater than 98 on my atar, or will this terms results impact too much?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it is possible if you commit to rectifying what were your weaknesses this term. It's all early yet, but don't become disheartened especially if you are at a higher rank school.

enoilgam

HSC
What is your school ranking? In any event, as LHS has said, it's early days and a lot can change.

scarlet112

HSC
I'm not sure of the school ranking. How do you find this out?

Also, what is your view towards how many units to take? I was previously edging towards dropping legal studies, but since I seem to be doing reasonably in that area, my resolute is at a standstill once again. Would you suggest maintaining 13 units or dropping to less? Ultimately, I realise it comes down to a personal decision based on the individual, but I am still curious to hear your thoughts.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm not sure of the school ranking. How do you find this out?

Also, what is your view towards how many units to take? I was previously edging towards dropping legal studies, but since I seem to be doing reasonably in that area, my resolute is at a standstill once again. Would you suggest maintaining 13 units or dropping to less? Ultimately, I realise it comes down to a personal decision based on the individual, but I am still curious to hear your thoughts.
School ranking can be found here: View attachment 27284

There is no problem taking 13 units into the HSC - many people feel compelled to drop down to 10-12 but you dont have to. If you are managing the workload and are doing relatively well across the board, then you dont need to drop anything. If you are doing a lot worse in one subject and feel as if it probably wont count towards your ATAR, then you should consider dropping it. Similarly, if you feel that a lighter workload could contribute to improvements across the board, then you should also consider dropping a subject. However, as you said, it really comes down to personal choice.

scarlet112

HSC
For the most part, it seems like a guessing game as to how much effort is required to gain a certain mark. I feel subconsciously this uncertainty is what is hindering my progress and further achievement. Do you have any tips for overcoming this, or otherwise to somewhat manipulate it to my advantage?

enoilgam

HSC
For the most part, it seems like a guessing game as to how much effort is required to gain a certain mark. I feel subconsciously this uncertainty is what is hindering my progress and further achievement. Do you have any tips for overcoming this, or otherwise to somewhat manipulate it to my advantage?
Try looking at your current progress and the effort you are putting in to find the weakest subject. You should have a fair idea if you feel that you are stretched to thin with 13 units. If you are, drop the subject which is least likely to count towards your ATAR.

scarlet112

HSC
Thankyou for your words of wisdom! I believe I am unable to drop anything, as chemistry and physics are prerequisites for the uni course I want to do, I wish to keep 4u maths, and I am doing pretty well in legal. I suppose more work is the only answer! :)

RishBonjour

HSC
Thankyou for your words of wisdom! I believe I am unable to drop anything, as chemistry and physics are prerequisites for the uni course I want to do, I wish to keep 4u maths, and I am doing pretty well in legal. I suppose more work is the only answer! :)
whats your school rank?
tbh first assessments generally won't influence you much unless you are in a top school.
but with your dedication, 98+ should be quite attainable :)
In regards to dropping legal. if you seem like you can't cope, drop it. more time on other subjects = better marks.

scarlet112

HSC
My school rank isn't awfully great, possibly because I live in a regional area, but that could just be me making excuses :p
I believe it was top 500 or so.. Yeh, not so good haha.

I managed to come 2nd in legal with little effort tbh, so I think it would be silly of me to drop that at this stage. :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Being ranked top in all ur subjects is probably the only way of getting an atar >98.Top as in ranked 1st in the 10 units that you know will count. Drop something because the 13 units are letting you down especially for a chance of 98+. You can always catch up on Chemistry or Physics work after HSC or do a bridging course.I recommend pulling up your Chem rank or dropping legal, even if your doing well in it, it's not the best scaler and schools ranked in the 500s can sometimes give you a 'doing well' in the subject illusion, when in the HSC exam you only manage a band 5 etc..especially with subjects that have essays such as Legal.

So far with those ranks your looking at 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)