probability q may or may not have an answer (1 Viewer)

kfnmpah

HSC
Ok so I am at uni doing a "working mathematically" course that focuses on problem solving.
The lecturer defined problem solving as a bunch of stuff, but what is relevant to this post is that he said 'you don't know a predetermined answer, you have to decide where to stop' so this is more of a hit-me-with-suggestions type thing than a solve it nao

A cereal manufacturer wants to increase sales by including a series of tokens in its cereal boxes. If there are 8 tokens in the series, how many cereal boxes would you be expected to buy to complete the set without swapping or trading

i was thinking about doing Random number generators for integers between (and inclusive of) 1 and 8 and doing IF functions in excel but that gets convoluted

Then i was thinking saying what is the probability of getting all 8 if you buy 10 boxes, if you buy 20 boxes etc and go up to whatever number until I get really really close to 1 but i *completely* forget how to do this. what would i do for this probability calculation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)