probability that this yr's aos q. wont/will be an essay? (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
I've gone through diff. forms of writing ......eg. radio broadcasts, interviews, essays, feature articles, speeches, coversations.
What other forms are there? Do u think this yr's q. will be an essay?....So far i think the easiest forms are the essay and speech....what do u think?

Huy

HSC
N/A
i think you've covered all of them (if im not mistaken)

but textual form covers a heap of areas,
i dont see why they can't ask you to write a brochure for example (as suggested by my english teacher)

factual texts: reports, explanations, procedures/instruction, recounts, expositions, discussions, factual descriptions,

literary texts: narratives, literary recounts (autobiographies), observations. other examples include poetry, literary descriptions, personal responses (common), and reviews and responses (this might be chosen too in the area of study)

radio broadcasts, scripts, interviews
these are pretty boring in my opinion, i hate writing dialogue :)

essays, feature articles, speeches
these aren't so bad, so i wouldn't be surprised to see these popping up in the aos (writing component)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i would be quite surprised if they asked us to write an essay.. i'm expecting more panel discussion/interview/speech sort of thing.

you could also be asked to write a diary entry, but that would be too easy I reckon, since it doesn't cover much.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
i hope its an essay... but knowing my luck it'll prob b a newspaper article coz i hate doing it!

but yeah.. i dont mind the others... but i hope its an essay, essays r easier than the rest

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
But if it's an essay for AOS, that would mean that we wont get an essay in paper 2, so unless you've done like heaps and hepas of essays for AOS then there is no advantage of getting the essay in AOS since, according to my teacher, in each module + AOS they ask you to write in a different form. Does that make sense?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, they can ask you to write a brochure.
Or design a website. Or write a conversation in an internet chatroom. (which I think would be a COMPLETE joke, but my english teacher made us do practices at this, so it must be possible...:rolleyes: )

I think the main things they are most likely to ask are interviews/conversations,straight out essays, newspaper/magazine articles, letters, speeches.

For the HSC, you can get some ideas asnto what type of text type they will ask by looking at the previous years HSC paper...if the previous year was asked to write say a newspaper article for a certain question, the chance that they will ask for the same text type this year is very slight. But as for exams set by the school...its anyone guess.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
dont get to stressed about the format. just remember, you have 40 minutes, thats NOT a lot of time.
by the time you have churned out stuff about 3 or 4 texts, theres not a lot of time to do anything to tricky.
so as long as you know some basic suff, ie chuck in a byline for an article, start a letter with dear ___, etc, you can basically chuck in the essay that you practised at home.
this is one that you should be able to write before hand, the question has to be so broad to fit all the texts they cant get to tricky.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
MuahuAH man i hope there is an essay... im more comfy with essays than im with like newspaper ads, speeches etc...

kini mini

HSC
I wouldn't worry about the exact format. In the end, you know what you have to say and you just have to think about squashing that information into the format.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I agree with Kini Mini! :)

I would also like to add that if I was bettin', I would have to bet against an essay!

nerdd

yeah I think they'd think an essay is too easy.. something you could easily prepare for beforehand.

I'd say maybe a speech to a specific audience.

lizzy1004

HSC
i wanna essay too... i gotta feeling though its gonna be a feature article.. havent had one of those for ages... but i hope its an essay... so much easier@

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by lizzy1004
i gotta feeling though its gonna be a feature article.. havent had one of those for ages..
have u seen last yr's paper?

fringey

HSC
I hope we get a conversation in @ least 1 section. They r so easy:
Jim: What do you think of change John?
John: Blah blah.....
Plz BOS b nice

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
how could that be when thats like the most typical text form?:D
Well, that's precisely why they're not likely to give you an essay. One of the syllabus rubrics says something about the student learning to read/write 'in a variety of different contexts and styles' or media or SOMETHING along those lines.. simply meaning, you know how to write in something OTHER than an essay.

They'll be general ('a letter', NOT 'a letter to your third cousin twice removed on your mother's side, whose sister recently died and who owns three goldfish') enough for you to change them to suit your needs (a letter to your teacher; a letter to your best friend; a letter to your dog, a letter to your god).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)