Probability (1 Viewer)

HSC
An unbiased die is thrown six times. Find the probability that the six scores obtained will be such that a 6 occurs only on the last throw and exactly three of the first five throws result in odd numbers.
How would I start this?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
An unbiased die is thrown six times. Find the probability that the six scores obtained will be such that a 6 occurs only on the last throw and exactly three of the first five throws result in odd numbers.
How would I start this?
Pr(6 on last throw) = 1/6.

We require now exactly three of the first five to have odd numbers (so exactly two have an even number that is not 6, i.e. 2 or 4. Also, Pr(2 or 4 on a given roll) = 2/6 = 1/3).

There are ways to pick to the throws that come up with an even number. Having picked these, we require them both to have 2 or 4 (so probability of this is ), and we require the other three to also be odd (probability of this is , since Pr(odd) = 1/2). So the probability of exactly three of the first five throws being odd scores AND the other two being 2 or 4 is .

So the overall answer is .

HSC
What was wrong with how I did it?
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
For [1],[2],[3] i want 1,3,5 so
Then [4],[5] , it can be any number but 6 so
Then [6] I only want 6, so p =
Therefore it is
Another method I did was for the first three, there are 3x3x3 = 27 possible choices. Then for 4th,5th, there are 5x5 = 25 choices and for 6th, there is 1 choice. So there is 675 possible. Sample space = 6^6
This gave me same answer as method 1

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What was wrong with how I did it?
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
For [1],[2],[3] i want 1,3,5 so
Then [4],[5] , it can be any number but 6 so
Then [6] I only want 6, so p =
Therefore it is
Another method I did was for the first three, there are 3x3x3 = 27 possible choices. Then for 4th,5th, there are 5x5 = 25 choices and for 6th, there is 1 choice. So there is 675 possible. Sample space = 6^6
This gave me same answer as method 1
Both the above methods seem to assume that the odd-numbered scores need to occur in the first three rolls. But the question says they can occur in any three of the first five rolls.

HSC
Why are you doing ? That part should just be . And then you need to multiply by to account for the different allowable orderings of where your odd-numbered scores can go.
THat means 5C3 right? I understand that you have to have that but I can't think of a logical reason. can you give an example using that? Im not good with perms/combs and probability

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
THat means 5C3 right? I understand that you have to have that but I can't think of a logical reason. can you give an example using that? Im not good with perms/combs and probability
Yeah, 5C3 is the number of ways we can order the three odd-numbered results from the first five rolls. We can have them in any three of the first five rolls, e.g. in roll #'s {1,3,5}, {2,3,4}, {1,2,4} etc. In order to account for each of these possibilities (which are equally likely), we have to multiply the (which is the probability of a GIVEN set of three rolls having all numbers odd) by the number of such sets of three rolls (and this number is , since that's the number of ways of choosing three things from a group of five; in this case, we chose a set of three rolls from a group of five rolls).

HSC
Yeah, 5C3 is the number of ways we can order the three odd-numbered results from the first five rolls. We can have them in any three of the first five rolls, e.g. in roll #'s {1,3,5}, {2,3,4}, {1,2,4} etc. In order to account for each of these possibilities (which are equally likely), we have to multiply the (which is the probability of a GIVEN set of three rolls having all numbers odd) by the number of such sets of three rolls (and this number is , since that's the number of ways of choosing three things from a group of five; in this case, we chose a set of three rolls from a group of five rolls).
I still dont really get why its 5C3 instead of just multiplying by 3

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
This is because there's 5C3 different ways of ordering the three odd-number in the first five rolls. It's just like how the number of ways of picking three doors to open from a set of 5 closed doors is 5C3. In this question, instead of opening doors, we are choosing which rolls will land an odd.

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC
Here's a different way of looking at it:

o,e,o,o,e Where e=even and o=odd
And so the number of arrangements of throws is: 5!/2!*3! (since all odds and evens are identical) = 5C3 or 5C2

HSC
This is because there's 5C3 different ways of ordering the three odd-number in the first five rolls. It's just like how tghe number of ways of picking three doors to open from a set of 5 closed doors is 5C3. In this question, instead of opening doors, we are choosing which rolls will land an odd.
ohh thanks that example helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)