problems starting nero (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i just got an internal burner, and i installed it fine, and it works, but when i try to open nero, it gives me this error message:
"The Nero executable file was modified! Maybe your PC is infected by a computer virus! We would recommend to use the latest antivirus software to check your PC. If no viruses are found, please do a full uninstall of Nero, and reinstall from the original Nero CD." i press OK and Nero closes, although i can see the actual program in the background
i'm using version 5.5.10.9 bundled.
i don't think i have any viruses on my comp, and i've tried uninstalling and installing to no effect. wtf is wrong with it? don't get it.
do u think if i replace the exe file, or update the software it might work?

Huy

HSC
N/A
i just got an internal burner, and i installed it fine, and it works
Do you mean it works outside of Nero?
Can it read CDs and write to CD-Rs (and RWs) using other CD-writing software? For example BlindWrite, Alcohol, CloneCD, CDRWIN, FireBurner.

Scan your computer with AntiVirus software?
Uninstalled Nero, and restarted your computer?
Then try reinstalling Nero.

I understand that your Nero had been bundled with your CD burner, in which case it will be an OEM burner (this does not matter).

Try downloading the demo or trial of 5.5.x.x
If you're still experiencing problems, download a trial copy of Nero 6 to see if it is your version that is causing the problems, not Nero itself (or your drive).

Winston

HSC
Ok i'm a little supsicious, that message dialog doesn't seem like it's outputted by Ahead, because the wording "maybe" isn't even correct, unless those german developers are extremely bad at english lol... but maybe isn't a approprirate word to put in a message box they can't say "maybe you're burners gay"
lol :p...

Huy

HSC
N/A
I was thinking it could have been a virus, which is why I suggested the virus scan.

I never read the error message completely, but maybe does seem a little bit odd. I am also a little bit suspicious of the multiple uses of exclamation marks (!). It's too overwhelming for the user.

For example:
"Look behind you! Your burner does not work! Hello world!"

@pigs: Is this a legitimate version, with a legitimate serial in use? I ask because you may never know if keys are blacklisted. I do suggest that you use original installation media (the CD that was bundled with your optical drive), and if necessary or required, use the serial/CD-key provided.

Bundled drives usually come with their own installation CDs and are usually legitimate.

Winston

HSC
I'm more inclined to say it's probably a virus, but don't quote me, because i'm not a Symantec Virus Archive :p...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, it does seem a little bodgey, but i used the CD that came with the burner, so...
do u think updating might fix it?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i don't think its the CD cos other stuff that came on it, like InCD and Nero Mediaplayer all work fine, just not Nero

Huy

HSC
N/A
@pigs

Uninstall Nero, delete any folders relating to Nero such as the Nero or Ahead folder in Program Files, then restart.
Once you've restarted disable your Antivirus software.
Proceed to install Nero.
Restart if necessary, then enable your Antivirus software.

If you have a VIA chipset, KT133a motherboard, then you should download the latest BIOS and update it. I believe they are VIA 4in1 drivers.

I do also recommend that if you have any Registry knowledge, that you edit the registry. Make a backup of your existing registry by going to File->Export. Remove any entries related to Nero or Ahead (of which you should find a few). Restart your computer, install Nero again. Once it has been installed, go into your File->Preferences dialog and uncheck 'load the antivirus plugin'.

If that fails you, download the trial (demo) from Nero's website and install it over the top of your existing installation, keeping existing settings (and your serial). This will then update/upgrade your existing copy to the newer version of Nero 5.x - whilst still maintaining your serial, from the original installation of the bundled Nero.

edit
I would also recommend that you check any existing (or remnant) ASPI layers installed on your computer, to see if they are in conflict with Nero.

Is Nero the only CD-writing application installed?
Or do you have multiple apps for burning? This may conflict with other software, but I do recommend that you visit Nero's (Ahead's) website to download the latest ASPI layer for Windows 2000/XP. I believe it is available there. Nero's in-built antivirus (extra plugin) installed must be incompatible with not only your motherboard and CD-writer, but any antivirus software installed eg Norton AntiVirus. Also check to see the running processes at the time this error message is occuring to isolate the problem, and I would recommend that you scan your computer using Ad-aware for any malicious files. Whilst you are doing that, you can check which processes (executables) are running during startup.

Start, run, msconfig (I believe this is not available in Windows 2000). Go to your startup tab and untick any Nero related executables such as NeroCheck or similar. If you have installed InCD and do not use it, I would also recommend removing that entry.

Good luck pigs. :)

Last edited:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
does NOrton CrashGuard and Antivirus Auto-protect count as background antivirus programs

yeah, i dl Nero Cleantool, which is meant to clean the registry for me, and im dl an update now, hopefully one of the two will work.

which should i try first, reinstalling or updating

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
does NOrton CrashGuard and Antivirus Auto-protect count as background antivirus programs
Yes.
which should i try first, reinstalling or updating
Uninstalling, then restarting.

Then reinstall a clean copy of Nero, and install (over the top) with the latest Nero 5.x demo, but it will (presumably) upgrade your copy to the latest, while still maintaining the registry entries (which keep your serial) thereby "unlocking" the application, legitimately.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
ok cool...hope this works

thnx all :D:p
You're welcome, and all the best with Nero :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)