Procreation of the hereditarily disabled (1 Viewer)

Should procreation between people with major hereditary diseases be frowned upon?

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
How do you add citation to your own knowledge, and its the same topic. Genes.
You were using statistics. This requires evidence.
You made the claim that the kids are infertile. This requires evidence.
Simple.

First post you were talking about parental responsibilities and the disabled child being infertile. Second post you started talking about the chances of the child becoming disabled in the first place. Entirely different topics.
Claiming they were the same, under the title of "genetics" Is like claiming that mathematics and biology are exactly the same, as they're both under the title of "science".

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
You were using statistics. This requires evidence.
You made the claim that the kids are infertile. This requires evidence.
Simple.

First post you were talking about parental responsibilities and the disabled child being infertile. Second post you started talking about the chances of the child becoming disabled in the first place. Entirely different topics.
Claiming they were the same, under the title of "genetics" Is like claiming that mathematics and biology are exactly the same, as they're both under the title of "science".
Im pretty sure i was either answering someones question, or rebutting their arguement, but if you really want me to get citation then fine.

I didnt claim that they were infertile, i said there was a 50% chance, and after i did a little more resaerch into it, i found it to be only the Y linked disorders that gave infertility, and i posted that fact after Exphate asked for citation, and heres the citation
Genetic disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Prove that the CIA World Factbook is accurate.

What are they basing this bold claim that Sydney is the biggest city on?
You know what I mean, you arse :p The point was, which as moll has said, was he made a quantitative (not qualitative, which has some leeway) claim without any evidence whatsoever to back it up. "Most cases where the parents are the carier of the mutant gene and their child is a sufferer, theres a 50% chance he/she is infertile." That requires a reference.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Im pretty sure i was either answering someones question, or rebutting their arguement, but if you really want me to get citation then fine.

I didnt claim that they were infertile, i said there was a 50% chance, and after i did a little more resaerch into it, i found it to be only the Y linked disorders that gave infertility, and i posted that fact after Exphate asked for citation, and heres the citation
So what you should have said is that

Wikipedia said:
Only one mutated copy of the gene will be necessary for a person to be affected by an autosomal dominant disorder. Each affected person usually has one affected parent. There is a 50% chance that a child will inherit the mutated gene. Conditions that are autosomal dominant often have low penetrance, which means that although only one mutated copy is needed, a relatively small proportion of those who inherit that mutation go on to develop the disease. Examples of this type of disorder are Huntington's disease, Neurofibromatosis 1, Marfan Syndrome, Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, and Hereditary multiple exostoses,which is a highly penetrant autosomal dominant disorder. Birth defects are also called Congenital anomalies.

Your original post applied this to all genetic disease types, which was incorrect considering there are 5 other distinct types of genetic disorders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)