• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Producer/director (2 Viewers)

rphal

HSC
What courses would offer the greatest chance of becoming a producer or a director? I'd love to become a director of television. I'm not really interested in film. I'm mostly interested in becoming a news director. Are there any courses that lean even slightly towards this field? Location doesn't matter. NSW, QLD, VIC, I really don't mind. Any information would be great. Cheers!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
If you're looking towards news director, you'd probably want to consider some kind of journalism course.

Otherwise, you may want to look into something along the lines of communications. I know UNE has a Bachelor of Communications - I do it - and under the new system introduced this year, you can do a major in writing, English or a few others such as sound engineering; there ay be something worth looking into there (but I'm not sure as I'm operating under the old rules).

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Also join some theatre societies like revues at your university. :)

amaccas

HSC
N/A
sydney film school i think

(hard to get into though as far as I know)

edit: oh you want to be a news directory. hmm... communications courses! what the previous poster said
that and get practical experience

antisheep

HSC
I notice you're HSC 2008 so if you want to do something this year WHILE you're at hs that will give you a better chance of getting into any exclusive film schools next year there's partycp8 which is where a couple of hundred amateurs get together and make a feature length film under the guidance of a few top film makers. It starts in may in NSW. so if you're in the area then it might be worth a look cos it ranges from high school kids right up to 30 somethings and you can direct, act, write, do lighting, post production work... anything. Just make sure it doesn't intefere with your studies!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
UNE also offers a unit called Work 300/400, which is a third and fourth-year subject that allows you to take work placement. I'm not doing it this year as I need to do a certain subject first which isn't on offer this year, so I can't give you any feedback on it, but the point is that you can go to almost any industry you like (subject to permission from the head of school).

rphal

HSC
By communications you don't mean journalism, do you? Because I really do not want to study journalism. I mean I love the news and TV industry, but I'm not right for journalism. I more of a behind the scenes type of person. Are there any courses that do a straight communications course without majoring in journalism? I searched around the different state variations of UAC (QTAC is hopeless), and found these courses, all of which mention directing and/or producing in either a major or in possible careers.

Bachelor of Creative Industries (Television) - QUT
Bachelor of Film and Television - Swinburne
Bachelor of Film and Television - University of Melbourne
B Arts (Television Production) - Charles Sturt University

Does anyone know anything about these courses and if they're reputable in the television industry? And do you happen to know of anymore university courses that are similar?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You would probably need to take some kind of journalism degree to become a news director, even if it is indirect journalism. You'd have to know which stories to run and when to run them. You're not simply going to walk into Channel Ten or whereer and say "Hi, I'm looking to be your new news director"; they're going to want someone with experience in that sector. The way I see it, the news director is right at the top of the hierachy, so you'd have to work your way up.

And journalism is incredibly competitive. I did a week's work experience witha newspaper and one of the reporters told me that if I wanted to succeed, I'd have to be committed 110% because if I wasn't, I'd just be working for some backwater local paper.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
I've heard that are a large proportion of people who study journalism end up as teachers in the long run. Is this a fair generalisation?

rphal

HSC
One of my english teachers used to be a journalist.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
amaccas said:
I've heard that are a large proportion of people who study journalism end up as teachers in the long run. Is this a fair generalisation?
I wouldn't know ... but then, the guy who told me about having to be committed was leaving the newspaper at the end of the year for a teaching position.

antisheep

HSC
Communications degrees aren't just for journalists.

UTS has a great program called Communications - Media Arts and Production

you can major in new media, animation or film, like you're interested in.

You should give it a look if you're interested in communications.

boris

Banned
HSC
CSU offers;
Bachelor of Arts (Graphic Design)/Bachelor of Arts (Television Production)

Bachelor of Arts (Multimedia Arts)/Bachelor of Arts (Television Production)

Bachelor of Arts (Communication - Theatre/Media)

Bachelor of Arts (Design for Theatre and Television)

In television production, students receive training in the following methods visual storytelling, television production and technology, single and multicamera production, television post production, script analysis and directing for television, and undertake a major television project.
The Bachelor of Arts (Television Production) course has been designed to generate articulate, multi-skilled graduates with understanding of the technical requirements to fulfil a number of roles within the television industry. Graduates will be able to demonstrate the ability to remain abreast of technological changes and will be capable of undertaking complex tasks as collaborative crew members.

The Bachelor of Arts (Multimedia Arts) component is designed to provide a broad-based education exploring specific applications of digital technologies in the many individual media which constitute multimedia. Graduates will have a critical awareness of the medium as well as a balance between formal and technical skills and vision, and the production of innovative and creative content, effectively positioning graduates for employment in a wide range of multimedia industries.
CSU graduates in Journalism are some of the mosed desired graduates in NSW (next to UTS)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)