productions, readings and critics in King lear?? (1 Viewer)

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
do we have to relate different productions to some or the other readings?? and then mention the production technques to justify it??
eg the russian version to marxist...or brook to the nihilistic???
where do the critics fit in??
i've got heaps of stuff on A C Bradley.. but dont know what Wilson Knight talks about?? what other critics should be known? and where do i find resources for them? our teacher has talked only the two mentioned above.
also, to what depth are we supposed to know all this?
its such a big module... and i feel so lost.!! :(

any help will be highly appriciated.
thanks heaps.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Two productions is fine.
With Brooks: you can look at nihilistic and absurdist readings (remeber, although these fit together nicely, they're NOT the same thing). I haven't seem the Russian version, so i dont know if there's more than one reading in that production, but there's obviosuly marxist. And uve got the aristotelian reading of the text itself. that gives u at least 4 reading s 2 use in ur essay, which is plenty.

as to techniques: YES, u must mention specific techniques and how they show that particular meaning, otherwise u cannot get a good mark in this module.

remember: the focus of this module is varying interpretations of texts, so u want 2 show how different readings are possible. its also important to know the context of each production, its producer and its critics - ur answer will be better if u can refer a reading 2 its context (eg. Post-WWII depression and the Cold War greatly infulenced Brook's nihilistic reading of King Lear etc.)

unless they are VERY well known, u do not need 2 mention specific critics, but u do need 2 know and be able 2 apply their ideas. in fact, its probably better if u pose these ideas as ur own.

Shalimar

HSC
yea gazza just let the words flow man, speak from the heart

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)