Program discontinuation (1 Viewer)

Natendo

HSC
simple: When was the census date and what happens if you opt to leave after it?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The census date is the deadline for withdrawing without incurring a HECS debt for that course.

There is also a dead line for withdrawing without academic penalty. I think it is around about week 9. If you withdraw from the course before that deadline, but after the census date then you will still have to pay HECS for the course but it doesn't appear as a fail on your academic transcript.

If you withdraw from the course after both these deadlines then you will be given an absent fail on your transcript.

Natendo

HSC
The census date is the deadline for withdrawing without incurring a HECS debt for that course.

There is also a dead line for withdrawing without academic penalty. I think it is around about week 9. If you withdraw from the course before that deadline, but after the census date then you will still have to pay HECS for the course but it doesn't appear as a fail on your academic transcript.

If you withdraw from the course after both these deadlines then you will be given an absent fail on your transcript.
Thank you! this is a lot clearer than what student central have said.

I am still worried though, because of the conflicting information. Because on this form (it's a pdf) https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/ProgramEnrolmentVariationForm.pdf it says you had to have it sent before the 31st of march, but on myUNSW's 'key dates' it says the last day to discontinue without academic penalty is the 26th of April https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/resources/KeyDates.html

Iruka

HSC
N/A
31st of March is the census date - withdraw after this date and you have to pay for the course. This date is set by the Fed. govt, not the uni.

The 26th of April is the date set by the uni for withdrawal without academic penalty. So if you withdrew from a course between 31st of march and 26 april you still have to pay for the course but your non-result wont appear on your transcript. Withdraw atfter 26/04 and you will have to pay and you get a Fail on your transcript. If you are planning to transfer to another uni or apply for another course this is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Natendo

HSC
31st of March is the census date - withdraw after this date and you have to pay for the course. This date is set by the Fed. govt, not the uni.

The 26th of April is the date set by the uni for withdrawal without academic penalty. So if you withdrew from a course between 31st of march and 26 april you still have to pay for the course but your non-result wont appear on your transcript. Withdraw atfter 26/04 and you will have to pay and you get a Fail on your transcript. If you are planning to transfer to another uni or apply for another course this is not a good thing.
Thanks a bunch Iruka! I am no longer nervous about leaving as I wish to apply for another university next year... after finding myself that is ;-)

There's a difference between discontinuation and leave that you should look at before you apply however. Discontinuation is when you drop out of your degree, leave is when you take some time off.

If you take leave (one semester or two) you'll lose access to uniwide, unimail and vista.elearning.
Thank you... oh and nice McCartney icon eh? :)

Icestorm

HSC
N/A
Just a quick follow-up question:

If you withdraw after the census date but before the academic fail date (April 26th), will the withdrawn course appear on your transcript with a 'W' (or something like that) next to it, or will it not appear at all?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)