Programming Courses (1 Viewer)

untamedanimal

What courses does UTS offer that can lead to a career in programming. Are there any that combine programming with maths?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
The following courses at UTS can lead you to a career in programming:
- BSc in Info Tech (strong focus - depending on sub-major can lead to very strong focus)
- BSc in Info Tech Innovation (semi focus, but depends on electives)
- BMath/Comp (semi focus)
- BBus/BComp (semi focus - depends on sub-major)
- BEng in Software Engineering (very strong focus)

If you want to do maths as well then:
- BSc in Info Tech (with Maths sub-major)
- BMath/Comp
- BEng in Software Engineering

Hope that helps!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i have a friend who is doing software engineering and he was complaining to me how first year there is hardly any real programing to do!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's because first year is when all the generic "fundamental engineering" style subjects are taught. Can't be an engineer if you don't know that stuff! ;)

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
dude im doing engineering (software) ... all this extra maths and physics is the biggest waste of time .. yeah as if we need calculus to do software engineering ....

like what do we need it for .. oh yeah and the air pressure problem is what we learn, what a piece of shit ./..

and calculus + physics .. we need to calculate at what force we hit the computer with when it doesnt work the way we want it ...

if i fail any of these crap courses here i come .. BScIT

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well as I tell people at the UTS open days, the BEng Software Engineering course is for people who want to do hardcore commercial ajnd industrial programming and stuff. They are usually focused on projects in the science fields and such, hence why you learn physics. Usually you get involved in programming systems for planes, trains, and other machines. This requires engineering knowledge and maths and such usually.

If you want to program for businesses then you do BScIT. It will teach you programming as well as information systems, networking, management stuff, and anything else you pretty much should know to work in an IT based role in a business. You'll mainly be working with upgrades and maintenance to business systems, which usually don't require much mathematical or scientific knowledge.

Hope that helps!

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
but your a fool if you're choosing to be doing IT now..
u cant get jobs
dey firing heaps of ppls again ,..
a new wave has begun..
one IT worker in Australia is equivalent to ten IT workers in India.. in terms of wages.. so people prefer to outsource to India now :)

The thing with IT companies now is that they do not employ fresh from uni students.. saying that they do not have the experience required.. but think about it.. if you cant get a job then how you gonna get experience?? then you'll b unemployed from the IT industry for 1 or 2 years and as years go by you will forget everything you learned, hence doing IT now is a deathroad...

There has been a rumour that there is not enough people doing IT now, so few years from now there will be a problem that there will be too few people in the IT industry.. This however is not true, as the number of applicants in the courses are still the same.
eg if you had 200 people in a course back in 1998 with a cut off of 89...
you will still have 200 people in the course now in 2004 with a lower cut off of say 85
The number of people will always be the same,, if demand drops, then UAI cut of drops.. just means dey accept more people with lower UAIs .. which means there is still the same amount of people studying IT.. but just not the top achieving students.. They even accept many NRSL to fill in the gaps..
IT enrolment numbers at university is just the same as before..
ya feel me?
The only place where shortage of students to run classes for IT now would most likely be at TAFE. As TAFE used to have flourishing amounts of students studying IT every year.. but now its a quiet deserted course at TAFE...

peace^^

MoNNiE

HSC
Originally posted by hys
dude im doing engineering (software) ... all this extra maths and physics is the biggest waste of time .. yeah as if we need calculus to do software engineering ....

like what do we need it for .. oh yeah and the air pressure problem is what we learn, what a piece of shit ./..

and calculus + physics .. we need to calculate at what force we hit the computer with when it doesnt work the way we want it ...

if i fail any of these crap courses here i come .. BScIT
youknow u like it :p

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
I don't see much of a benefit in Engineering(Software) compared with BSciIT ...

Your basically in the same boat .... and nationally recognised both as jsut developers... and your pay will end up to be pretty much similar ...

Unless you go overseas .... with your B.Eng. Degree

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004

There has been a rumour that there is not enough people doing IT now, so few years from now there will be a problem that there will be too few people in the IT industry.. This however is not true, as the number of applicants in the courses are still the same.
eg if you had 200 people in a course back in 1998 with a cut off of 89...
you will still have 200 people in the course now in 2004 with a lower cut off of say 85

That is not entirely true. The amount of people doing BScIT at UTS, for example, has been dropping over the past 4 years. Just because the UAI has been going down doesn't mean the places have been filling at the same rate. As you know there are still vacancies in the BScIT course at UTS. Even if they fill them they will still have less students than they had 4 years ago. I have looked at and compared the numbers. There are less people doing BScIT at UTS now then there was in my year or the year before.

The number of people doing IT (whether the old BCompSci or BScIT) has also been affected by the introduction of new courses (BBus/BComp, BScIT Innovation and the likes), but this is a different story.

Akanian

it also depends on what area of programming you are into, if you want to write VHDL or assembly code, then computer systems engineering is the way to go. We still do a lot, but not as much of the typical C and java stuff. Basically we do practical embedded stuff, for controling machinery and applicances and others, great opportunity in working in companies such as SONY, TOSHIBA, and other companies along these lines. However, if you are into developing user programs, and working for big firms such as MICROSOFT and IBM, then software engineering is the way to go. I know ppl say first year, there isn't much programming, and that the maths and stuff is useless, but that's just to strengthen your mind, and make you think in more angles than other people. Believe me, it's a 5 year course, and you will get sick of programming by the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)