Progress at last! (1 Viewer)

Ba'al Shem Tov

يهوه هو الرب
HSC
N/A
Saudi Arabia to lift ban on women drivers

Saudi Arabia is to lift its ban on women drivers in an attempt to stem a rising suffragette-style movement in the deeply conservative state.

Government officials have confirmed the landmark decision and plan to issue a decree by the end of the year.

"There has been a decision to move on this by the Royal Court because it is recognised that if girls have been in schools since the 1960s, they have a capability to function behind the wheel when they grow up," a government official told The Daily Telegraph. "We will make an announcement soon."

VS

"Allowing women to drive will only bring sin," a letter to Al-Watan newspaper declared last year. "The evils it would bring - mixing between the genders, temptations, and tarnishing the reputation of devout Muslim women - outweigh the benefits."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=PM4FGFTSBNLNRQFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2008/01/21/wsaudi121.xml

:)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Personally I think it is inevitable that the Muslim world will eventually embrace both democracy and equal rights.

Hopefully I'll see it in my lifetime. It would let me leave this world with a boosted faith in humanity.

K

katie_tully

Women driving?

This isn't progress. This is a disaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)