Progress, (or lack thereof) ? (1 Viewer)

Prying Pandora

HSC
How far has every/anyone gotten with their story?

I finished the first draft, now I have to hack out about 5,000 extra words...
the other problem is, even at this early stage, I detest every minute detail of my work.

Oh, any my journal is non-existent as of yet...

I'm hoping to go down to the State Library soon but I'm not really sure of the 'procedure' down there, I know I'll end up looking further than fully idiotic. :p

HSC
N/A
I'm impressed! I didn't finish my first full drafts until the 1st term/2nd term holidays :p

How much do you dislike your work? A really good idea - the "right one", for want of a better term - will normally make you want to expand your major work as far as its able to.

However, as we all know, first drafts normally aren't too flashy. Why not re-evaluate - you have the choice of either scratching everything and starting afresh, or taking your story in an entirely new direction from an entirely new perspective.

A journal isn't too difficult - why not write an entry about how you've finished, and what you want to change? When I did my drafts, I changed the page setup so that the margins were really big - big enough so that when I printed it off, I could write all these comments in the margins like "oh, I could take this further and _____" or "This part only hinders the story - I'll have to think of something else". This is just what I did - it's not what you have to do, but if you're really stuck, you're more than welcome to try it. :)

HSC
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to get motivated. When I get down to writing it should be OK, but I'm at the "research" stage until at least the end of the holidays. My Journal ewnt really well for a good....well....two weeks but I havn't touched it all holidays. Another thing to do.

If your not enjoying your MW I would consider doing either a different medium, or changing the idea completely, if you like something you will do far better.

Prying Pandora

HSC
glitterfairy said:
A really good idea - the "right one", for want of a better term - will normally make you want to expand your major work as far as its able to.

However, as we all know, first drafts normally aren't too flashy. Why not re-evaluate - you have the choice of either scratching everything and starting afresh, or taking your story in an entirely new direction from an entirely new perspective.
I think it's more that every 'avenue' Has been stretched beyond limits- hence the major word-count, each time I try to go over it to fix it up I feel so overwhelmed by the familiarity of the words that I'm unable to change them.
I've heard that maybe it's best to just leave it for a while but I already feel very unproductive these holidays...

HSC
I know what you mean, when I feel stuck, I go and read. Sometimes it's a new book/one I'm in the middle of, but most of the time I re-read a favourite. Something that when I read for the first time really struck me as genius. Somehow I don't think The Shipping News is ever going to fit into that catagory for me.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I think its pretty damn good that you've finished your first draft, I dont think I had even drafted more than two poems (and thats probably being very generous) at this stage. It does sound like you need to put it away for a few days or a week, read something else and then come back to it when you arent so familiar with it, or maybe show it to some other people and ask their opinions on what is necessary to the story and what can be cut out?

HSC
N/A
Tender_Branson said:
I know what you mean, when I feel stuck, I go and read. Sometimes it's a new book/one I'm in the middle of, but most of the time I re-read a favourite. Something that when I read for the first time really struck me as genius. Somehow I don't think The Shipping News is ever going to fit into that catagory for me.
Neither do I... in fact, I didn't even finish it :p And still got 47/50! Whoo!

But back on topic... yes, try something completely new. Burnout is a terrible thing, and pushing through it usually is only futile. Take a break. Have a Kit-Kat. :p

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
i've written approximately 300 words, but i think i've polished my opening paragraph pretty well =/

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Dont worry too much about the journal. The markers dont read them unless your MW is confusing. Good luck.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
ive written bout 3/4 of a page lol... i got really motivated at the beginning of the holidays but now im toolazy to do anything...

my journal is non-existent too :)

Spring Sakura

HSC
Well I've sort of been writing...however my story is completely different to what i originally had in mind...

I've done about 3-4 written pages...but my short attention span is starting to kick in, so I might have to start all over again at some point with a completely new idea.

Argh! This is just too daunting...

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
Spring Sakura said:
Well I've sort of been writing...however my story is completely different to what i originally had in mind...

I've done about 3-4 written pages...but my short attention span is starting to kick in, so I might have to start all over again at some point with a completely new idea.

Argh! This is just too daunting...
Gotta love short attention spans :D

eg-- I have written maybe three pages (if I compile all the various scraps and round up significantly), but they're not in chronological order (and possibly not from the same story). Oh well. I'll throw them all together and call it post-modern :D

Kendracula

HSC
fine ambiguity said:
Gotta love short attention spans :D

eg-- I have written maybe three pages (if I compile all the various scraps and round up significantly), but they're not in chronological order (and possibly not from the same story). Oh well. I'll throw them all together and call it post-modern :D
Now, that's fun! My piece is actually meant to be postmodern, but I haven't gotten more than a paragraph down, seeing as how I've been out most of the holidays. My journal exists, but seems as if it's kind of ... collecting unrelated information.

My attention span is nonexistant, but I had better get down to work tonight, because in a few days my stuff's getting reviewed.

HSC
My journal consists of maybe 3 fake 'Brainstorming' over 6 pages, and a couple of magazine articles - yet to be deconstructed.

Extensive research sucks, I want to write!

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Prying Pandora said:
I'm hoping to go down to the State Library soon but I'm not really sure of the 'procedure' down there, I know I'll end up looking further than fully idiotic. :p
I spent half my life at the State Library LOl well, okay, everyday for three months. And I live 1 hr away!

Alan's Guide to the State Library

- Opening Hours Weekdays: 9am-9pm Weekends: 11am-5pm
- Leave your bag in a locker outside. Psst, the coin lockers are better!
- All books must be filled out on a yellow slip card. (Title and Author)
- Internet can be booked on computers, however, only once a day. You dont need a card, just your name will do. However, theres no chat or email (darn!)
- No books can be borrowed.
- Books on shelves (Open Access) are common reference books.
- 98% of their books are down below in storage. Check computers for the book you need, fill out the slip, and the book will be retrieved for you, without cost.
- Books from the Mitchell Library (primarily Australian related books) however, require you to attain a library card. No cost, but details and ID is required. These books cant be retrieved on Saturday.
- Alternatively, you can visit the Mitchell Library yourself. Its a beautiful place, however, echo's like no tmr.
- I suggest for quiet study, you go to level 7, and find a table/cubicle on your right upon heading down the stairs. Level 6 is noisy from people at the lockers, and it gets cold there at night, while the mass of tables at the northern end of level 7 usually fill up with groups of students, hence, talking. Its good to study there however sometimes, as if you intend to be a regular SL attendant, you'll make many friends, and have many people leaving notes on your desk saying "Hey, im Samantha. I sat to your left, in the black top and glasses. 0421 339 134 :)" which is nice on a long study day.
- For breaks, the upper photo gallery on Level 5 is nice. But the Botanical Gardens have to be my favourite. Alternatively, you can go to the Art Gallery which isnt too far, or Hyde Park.
- Food at the MLC building goes half price at 4.30. And Pitt Street too, but thats a further walk.
- Studyguides are behind the counter, so you'll have to ask. And they cant be taken out side the supervised area. While your at it, ask the librarian about Infocus.
- Past papers are hard to find, and half the librarians dont know where they are either HAHA. Find the little room with all the Health information (its right next to LIAC) To the right of that is a shelf. Thats where the past papers are.
- A water cooler (free) is just past the cafe, to your left.
- If you need to poo, go to the toilets just before the cafe on your right
- If you need scrap paper, just go to the photocopiers and pull out one of the draws LOL! Theres a3 paper there as well! w00t!

Thats about all I can remember... Theres more, and you'll find out more, the more you visit. Hope it helps!

Prying Pandora

HSC
Llyrai said:
Alan's Guide to the State Library

- Opening Hours Weekdays: 9am-9pm Weekends: 11am-5pm
- Leave your bag in a locker outside. Psst, the coin lockers are better!
:) Marketing Idea: "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Manoeuvring the State Library Without Appearing Foolish or Conspicuous"
:D - A best seller!

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Ooh i'd buy one. I prefer Fisher library because I know my way around there and wont look foolish. I prefer to steer clear of the state library. Im such a wuss :)

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i feel so slack and lazy. ppl have finished their first draft?!!! *runs* argh! i've only written 4 pages..and done some process work..*stresses* and i haven't exactly thought of a plot either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)