Project car (1 Viewer)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
I know this is probably going to sound lame to most of you but here goes.

I want a project car to fiddle around with because I have a hobby in car mechanics.

No it doesn't have to be new or unique, but it does have to be old and cheap (even some light rust won't kill).

I don't know where to look for one which is the problem. Specifically I'm looking for older Holden Commodores (VN and above) or Ford Falcon (EA and above) [Mainly locally made cars] so I can actually get the parts for them and make them work.

Where should I start looking? or does anyone have an offer on an old bomb somewhere?

I've tried the car wreckers and they told me the cars there weren't for sale which sucks. Unless I bought every part individually which is ridiculous.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
fairly sure pick and payless wouldn't mind throwing a whole car your way
at any rate, most wreckers would be reluctant to give a whole car away because it's worth more if sold individually as parts

check ebay and carsales for a complete pos imo.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Keep in mind part prices too, generally cars that sold in high volumes (like the ones you listed) would have cheaper parts, really new and really old cars would cost more.

I assume a lot of japanese cars would have an ample supply of parts around, why not give a honda or nissan or old school mazda a go?

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
iv got a peugeot 206 gti you can buy for cheap mate do it up nicely eh

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
seconding ebay..

depending on your definition of cheap, a buddy bought a half-decent hz for 600 a couple of months back..

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Check ebay. I sold a car for two hundred bucks to wreckers over Ebay recently.

You can pick up a complete POS for nearly nothing. Go with an old FWD car, you can work on bottom ends on those without taking the engine out.

Cheers

Predator78

HSC
If you want something fun and cheap get a RWD car.
You could probaly pick up a cheap VL or an ED-EF for around $500.

FWD would probaly be fine for your first project car if you want something to play around with.

That was probaly no help at all :)

walkahz

HSC
Go for a car you like the look of. Try to get something with a bit of rego as cars can be a bitch to get re blue slipped.
Im looking around for a HT sedan to do up or a HZ 1 tonner to fix up but i havent found one which is not a complete wreck that i can afford:mad1:.

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I was looking for a RWD car because I like the feel and handling of an RWD better, even though it might be 20 years old+.
But I don't want something that's too old like a Datsun 200B from the 80's or Kingswood from the 70's because I can't get parts for them too easily these days.
Whereas if I can source out a VN/VP Commodore of Falcon EA/EB then parts availability is plentiful as there are many of them sitting in wreckers for sure.
Basically I'm looking for one of those, but one that needs a lot of work to get running again. I have a spare engine for a Commodore VP sitting in my shed and can easily source out an engine for an EA/EB falcon pretty easily around here. Rust and stuff like that isn't my biggest concern unless it's so bad that the chassis has let go which means I can't fix it.
So yeah, basically I need something that is plentiful for parts and isn't more than 25 years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)