• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Projectile Motion (1 Viewer)

nike33

ok just asking :p in the 1st qn it canceled out, just making sure for the latter questions

nike33

id say im missing something but for 2ii...

V^2 = kh

maximum range: x = v^2 / g x = kh / g

ie max range is directly proportional to the height .:.

height = 4D ?/??

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Re-read the question for the definition of h. At 4D above the ground, the range is 0.

nike33

oh hehe, i just took h as the height of the leak :( , ill try again tommorow maybe

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by nike33
oh hehe, i just took h as the height of the leak :( , ill try again tommorow maybe
That'd be physically unrealistic, and would make the question way too easy! :)

nike33

haha i was getting worried at your standards! something had to be wrong :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Is the dam wall straight or concave (looking straight across the water)? and why would the land be flat the natural sediments from falling in the dam would arrange itself to produce a banked style on the bottom.

Anyway... (I didnt prove all the s=ut+1/2at<sup>2</sup> etc since I havent done that in class yet)

Heres 2(a) (I bashed it, cause I couldnt think of an elegant way using Kinetic and potential energy) I will do 2(b) in a sec (although I have a feeling what the answer might be from logic)

And sorry about the formatting but I couldnt remember how to just do a html line so they are all < p > spaced.

And I had to put it in a .zip because they wont accept .html

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ok 2(b) (it wouldnt let me put multiple attachements in the one post)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I would try the cambridge questions but only got 4u cambridge

CrashOveride

HSC
nike33 said:
(i) Prove that the jet can reach the wall above ground level if and only if V >(gc)1/2.

i))

i cant be bothered deriving formulas or watever...but maximum rangle v^2 = xg ..v = sqr(xg) taking it as positive

now let the base of the wall be the origon hence C(c,0)
now for the water to hit the wall at ground level exactly v = sqr(gc) as x = c

obviously now as v increases the distance increases. hence as
v = sqr(gc) hits the wall at ground level, if v > sqr(gc) it must hit the wall. and only if v > sqr(gc) as allready stated, this is the maximum range obtanible
Why do we say max range is needed here? Couldn't it just hit the bottom of the wall at a smaller range ? I had a similar question and assuming no max range thing, i got the condition: sin2@.U<sup>2</sup> > gd. So this would cater for all angles of projection? :S

Also the result U<sup>2</sup> = 4gd, i sub that in the c=Ucos@.t and we say 45 degrees because here max angle wud give us the highest point on wall? xcept i end up getting like 6d/8. If im missing something obviousy here, someone make me aware of my alarming decline of logic :(

Last edited:

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Calculon said:
I would try the cambridge questions but only got 4u cambridge
now i know what to get you for your birthday...

even though it's after the HSC lol

idkkdi

HSC
Nike33, it is good that you did prove that the shape on the wall is a parabola.

I took a different approach to solving this problem, which was:

Note that the distance travelled in the horizontal direction is kc, where 1 <= k <= 4, as 4c is the maximum range.
So, the time of flight is kc / [2 * sqrt(gc) * cos@] where @ is the angle of projection.
The height of impact, H, is: H = kctan@ - (k<sup>2</sup>c / 8) * sec<sup>2</sup>@.
dH/d@ = 4kcsec<sup>2</sup>@(4 - ktan@)
and it quickly follows that tan@ = 4 / k for a maximum height, and H<sub>MAX</sub> = 2c - ck<sup>2</sup> / 8

When k = 1, H<sub>MAX</sub> = 15c / 8 and when k = 4, H<sub>MAX</sub> = 0, as expected.

If you take D as the distance along the base of the wall, with D = 0 when k = 1 - at the closest point to C - then Pythagoras' theorem shows that:
D<sup>2</sup> = k<sup>2</sup>c - c<sup>2</sup>, and so k<sup>2</sup> = 1 + D<sup>2</sup> / c<sup>2</sup>
So, H<sub>MAX</sub> = 2c - (c / 8) * (1 + D<sup>2</sup> / c<sup>2</sup>) = 15c / 8 - D<sup>2</sup> / 8c.

This is clearly a parabola, as required, and the area is
2 * int (from 0 to c * sqrt(15)) H<sub>MAX</sub> dD = 5c<sup>2</sup> * sqrt(15) / 2, as required.
@CM_Tutor
"

If you take D as the distance along the base of the wall, with D = 0 when k = 1 - at the closest point to C - then Pythagoras' theorem shows that:
D<sup>2</sup> = k<sup>2</sup>c - c<sup>2</sup>, and so k<sup>2</sup> = 1 + D<sup>2</sup> / c<sup>2</sup>
So, H<sub>MAX</sub> = 2c - (c / 8) * (1 + D<sup>2</sup> / c<sup>2</sup>) = 15c / 8 - D<sup>2</sup> / 8c.

This is clearly a parabola, as required, and the area is
2 * int (from 0 to c * sqrt(15)) H<sub>MAX</sub> dD = 5c<sup>2</sup> * sqrt(15) / 2, as required. "
Got confused this part.

My reasoning for the area involved, that the parabola is essentially a -x^2 scaled larger by 15/8C. And then i take an integral, but i seem to get a wrong answer.

1974 q10 btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)