• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Promotion and program (1 Viewer)

Apparently

HSC
I'm doing music and drama so i have a bit of work to do...

Is it just me or is everyone studing Summer Of the 17th Doll... It seems that way... It's so boring...

Anywho... Can't chat much now...

R.G.

HSC
ive finished the design for my poster so thats one thing complete thank god

We got told today we have about 11 weeks till trials in which we give in basically the final product which is hugee.

How's everyone going with it?

butterflyxx

HSC
You know our posters, do we have to make our own? or can we use ads from magazines?

Because for art, we can't just copy an image, we have to somehow change it. Just wonderig if it's the same for drama?

R.G.

HSC
yeh your allowed to just take images and appropriate them.

At on stage most of them are images from magazines or famous photographers n stuff.

Apparently

HSC
Really?.. We can use other people's photos and stuff?.. I thought we had to use our own... That may make it so much easier if i can just use pics from magazines and stuff... Kool... Thanks guys

butterflyxx

HSC
Omg! Thanks so much for that. Now that i know we can just copy an image from a magazine, life is so much easier! =D

Anyway, hope you guys are all going well with it. Best of luck! ;)

pwiincess

HSC
heyy everii1 im doin Top Girls..as ma text...i cudnt be botherd readin da rest...im kinda up 2 ma 2nd poster onli coz ma first 1 was so stupid lol...n yea...i wanted 2 ask..4 sum reason ma teacher duznt giv 100% answers... umm...4 advertisments...do we make em up outa now were...or do we make our own...n also 4 sponsors...do we make our own or can we use ne sponsor..n also 4 da pic on da poster do we make it up..
kinda lost atm...our teacher wants 2 c a finalised copy by d end ov dis week loll...

kristie87

HSC
Hey guys!
I know I did my HSC last year and all, but I did Promotion & Program for my IP, so if at anytime, you guys want help with something, I'd be glad to assist seeing as i've been there, done that kinda thing and know what it's like - my IP wasn't OnStage material however, but was a 'band 6' if you're gunna judge my advice on that...or whatever...

But anywho - pwiincess - tell me about teachers not giving 100% answers...pffft, mine never did either really, so I know how you feel...such annoyingness!!! But as for advertisements, if you're talking about in the program and whatnot, what I did was take ad's from magazines that I thought would relate to what goes into the production of a play and whatnot, or what I thought a person would want to be amused by or interested by while flipping through from the point of view of an audience member who purchases the program - say for example, I chucked in a car company for the major sponsor (as Sydney TC has Jaguar as a sponsor...don't know if they still do) and for general interest, I chucked in a gloria jeans ad and a jewelry ad, makeup ad and mobile phone ad (stuff that appeals to everyday peeps) - all of which I just took out of a Cosmopolitan mag and scanned into my program.

As for the sponsors, if you're making your own hypothetical theatre company, you choose the sponsors - I chose Mercedes Benz as a sponsor for my theatre company...however, if using an already established theatre company such as STC they already have sponsors which you must include on your material for the 'conviction factor' as you'd be advertising and promoting as them.

The picture on the poster can be entirely developed by you - I mean, I wouldn't recommend just running out and using someone elses' already well known or famous photo as the sole focus of your poster - however, if you manipulate it and change it round and add in stuff to represent what your text choice is trying to say, then go for it!

Hope some of this helps!

pwiincess

HSC
heyy kristie87!!.. ur such a lifesaverrrrrr!! thanx heapss dat rellii relli helppdd i swear ma teacher has sed nufin like dat 2 me..no wunder i felt so lost loll!! thanx heapzz now i no how 2 edit my work!! thanx uuu loll ;) :rofl: :)
oh btw...BAND 6!! woow amazingg!! lol congratz!!...loll...ay one more question... say 4 example i chose an already established theatre company...for ma program..do i make up an outline bout the theatre company or do i get original outline from a program dat company had..? otha than dat ur a gr8 help loll thanx!! **hugz**

Last edited:

kristie87

HSC
pwiincess said:
heyy kristie87!!.. ur such a lifesaverrrrrr!! thanx heapss dat rellii relli helppdd i swear ma teacher has sed nufin like dat 2 me..no wunder i felt so lost loll!! thanx heapzz now i no how 2 edit my work!! thanx uuu loll ;) :rofl: :)
oh btw...BAND 6!! woow amazingg!! lol congratz!!...loll...ay one more question... say 4 example i chose an already established theatre company...for ma program..do i make up an outline bout the theatre company or do i get original outline from a program dat company had..? otha than dat ur a gr8 help loll thanx!! **hugz**
You're welcome anytime! :)
Okay, so for the program if you were doing an already established theatre company (although I did do a hypothetical theatre company), for example, STC, it would be my guess that you could go either way - you could make up your own blurb about them based on their 'mission statement' or you could just reuse their own outline of themselves from another program - I can guarantee you, however, that reusing their outline is not plagiarism because you're working to promote their company so you have to work like you were a part of them! That's part of the aim of the IP and the guise of Promotion and Program and that's exactly what I did for my yr 11 production project, although that wasn't sent off to the BOS for marking, I didn't get penalised for using STC's mission statement in my program, (you can find their mission statement on their website if you want to do STC for your company, by the way... :) )

pwiincess

HSC
lol thanx alot!! i relli dont know at the momment if im guna use an already established one..as ive already designed my own.. but yea if i do go bak 2 an already established one...dat wud probably be much easier i guess loll thanx heapz :)

butterflyxx

HSC
Wow, so for the company, we can use their blurb and not make our own? Gosh that's making my life so much easier.

So for our program, what do we include in it?

kristie87

HSC
butterflyxx said:
Wow, so for the company, we can use their blurb and not make our own? Gosh that's making my life so much easier.

So for our program, what do we include in it?
As far as I know, yep, you can use their blurb...unless the BOS has changed their rules of play within the last year or so - if you wanna be sure, double check with your teacher!!

But, for the program, all the BOS states you have to include is the word from the director, about the playwright, about the play itself, and about the theatre company. I recommend, that if you want to pull off a really amazing professional looking program, you check out some of the major theatre companies' programs...for my IP, I based my program around the structure and layout of the Lion King program from the Capitol Theatre in Sydney. Most major companies' programs follow a similar structure, so if you tune into that, you can't go wrong!

butterflyxx

HSC
kristie87 said:
As far as I know, yep, you can use their blurb...unless the BOS has changed their rules of play within the last year or so - if you wanna be sure, double check with your teacher!!

But, for the program, all the BOS states you have to include is the word from the director, about the playwright, about the play itself, and about the theatre company. I recommend, that if you want to pull off a really amazing professional looking program, you check out some of the major theatre companies' programs...for my IP, I based my program around the structure and layout of the Lion King program from the Capitol Theatre in Sydney. Most major companies' programs follow a similar structure, so if you tune into that, you can't go wrong!
Oh thanks Kristie! Yeh i'll double check with my teacher, not that he knows anything.

Yeh i saw the Lion King program, it's so creative and well made. So shocking. Thanks alot! :D

sedated_mind

HSC
im doing myth propaganda and disaster in nazi germany and contemporary america, seems i procrastinate a lot more than i thought i did but its slowly moving there thamks kristie87 your post was a help for me made my job a lot easier in the long run, but im just really unhappy with my poster at the moment, i left it for a month and now i hate it...

kristie87

HSC
butterflyxx said:
Oh thanks Kristie! Yeh i'll double check with my teacher, not that he knows anything.

Yeh i saw the Lion King program, it's so creative and well made. So shocking. Thanks alot! :D
No probs! Ha, yeah, I know what you mean about your teacher not knowing anything...seriously, I don't think many teachers do know anything about Promotion and Program...I never had much help either...like the only help I'd get is when i'd show him stuff and he'd go "yeah, awesome" or "naa, like the other one better" or something...That's why I'm here anytime, if you need some help, cos I know how hard it is doing it by yourself!

sedated_mind said:
im doing myth propaganda and disaster in nazi germany and contemporary america, seems i procrastinate a lot more than i thought i did but its slowly moving there thamks kristie87 your post was a help for me made my job a lot easier in the long run, but im just really unhappy with my poster at the moment, i left it for a month and now i hate it...
Urgh, I know...talk about poster unhappiness! There was a stage where I was completely unhappy about my poster design, but the key to liking it, I reckon, is firstly being happy with what you're designing and secondly, constantly variating and changing the design until you hit something you know you can just leave and it's perfect - it took me a month and a bit and over 30 different variations in design and A LOT of work in photoshop until I finally came up with a poster I liked and I thought portrayed my understanding of the play perfectly - I did Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. So it's a long haul! But don't get discouraged now! Keep at it, cos in the end, you'll pull of something fantastic that's everything you want it to be!

Last edited:

Jeza

HSC
Hey Christie thats awesome, could you post some of your images just for us to see what we compare to. also how do you know if you've writen with clarity and flair as the sylabus states.also the sylabus states include a profile of the theatre, it's target audience, info about the playwright, the history of the play, the directorial approach. what do they mean by target audience. does that mean you have to overtly state your play's target audience, or is it implicit through you design. also what size did you print your program, and how do you go about getting your designs printed professionally, or getting your program done. thanxs heeps JEZA from Northern beaches Sydney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)