pronouns (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
Doesn't that just become a nickname and a noun? Pronouns are used in place of a noun or noun phrase.

I understand why you wouldn't say "That is her drink bottle" but what's wrong with "that's their drink bottle"? "That's kitty's drink bottle" is just using a noun in a sentence?
No like their pronouns are kitty legit

stressedadfff

HSC
shouldn't 'they' cover that? I understand why he/she is not appropriate... but what's wrong with they?
They identify as a kitty... I don’t understand lololll that’s why I created this. Like is it a joke or sum

quickoats

HSC
They identify as a kitty... I don’t understand lololll that’s why I created this. Like is it a joke or sum
But you just called them 'they'...

Definition of they: used to refer to a person of unspecified gender
"they" is the generic pronoun so I don't know what's offensive about it.

Kitty identifies as kitty so you should refer to kitty as kitty....
They identify as kitty so you should refer to them as kitty. <-this sentence kinda proves the redundancy of the kitty pronoun???

stressedadfff

HSC
I'm sorry but if someone told me their (??) pronouns were "kitty" I would try so hard to not laugh

in fact how can you tell someone your pronouns are "kitty" with a straight face

grammatically it doesn't make sense anyway, like quickoats is saying
stoppp why am i just seeing this now AHAHAHAHAH no offence to any 'kittyys' out there though <3

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
shouldn't 'they' cover that? I understand why he/she is not appropriate... but what's wrong with they?
They is generally in most cases plural (it carries that connotation with it) e.g. referring to groups of people
he/she is strictly singular. It's tends to be grammatically incorrect in formal speech to use they, but in casual conversations its quite common.

e.g. this is clearest when paired with the word is/am/are.

He is riding the bike
She is riding the bike
They are riding the bike

The passive forms are respectively him / she / them. Here the distinction is less clear.
It was meant for him
It was meant for her
It was meant for them (implies there are multiple people/ or when referring to a couple)

However there can be cases where the word 'they' is generic (like a substitute/contraction of that person; or of an occupation).
When did the postman came?
They just came by maybe about an hour ago.

It can also be used to refer to collections of object (usually sets or collections). Sometimes it is used instead of 'these'.
('these' implies that the object is in front of you or in your possession, or abstract e.g. these days - 'these' typically qualifies an object as well)

I've been waiting for my shoes all week
They have delayed for another couple of days.

Or sometimes used to refer to plural periods of time:
How was the holidays?
They were fantastic.

However sometimes 'they' is not appropriate e.g.
I've been waiting for the train all day.
It's been delayed for another hour or so.

But if you want to stress that multiple trains were affected:
They have been delayed by about an hour. (implies there was more than one train/also carries the idea of agency as well - NSW Trainlink at it again)

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In HR, we are taught to avoid using he/she and instead use they, particularly when writing/developing policies. I believe they would be more inclusive of all the peculiar pronouns.

quickoats

HSC
They is generally in most cases plural (it carries that connotation with it) e.g. referring to groups of people
he/she is strictly singular. It's tends to be grammatically incorrect in formal speech to use they, but in casual conversations its quite common.

e.g. this is clearest when paired with the word is/am/are.
Nahh he/she is fine to me, I was referring to calling someone "they" if they don't use binary pronouns. The nature of the word 'they' encompasses everything so I don't understand the need for pronouns like "kitty" or "zey".

enoilgam

HSC
I don't have an issue with referring to people by their preferred pronoun (she/he/they etc) - it's basic respect. It's like if someone's name is Matthew and they preferred to be called Matthew, you wouldn't refer to them as Matt would you?

Where it has gone to far I think is removing gendered language completely, like encouraging people not to use words like Mother/Father or Husband/Wife. It's just the height of hypocrisy to me, like have people ever considered that maybe a person might be offended if people call them the "Non-Birthing Parent" as opposed to Father? Respect cuts both ways.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Nothing is illegal about misnaming someone, it's purely a sign of basic respect.
No dumb dumb, I'm talking about pronouns. And Canada passed an act called An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code which has been interpreted as criminalizing intentionally using a pronoun that a person does not identify with.

Although respect seems to be a virtue you have not yet embraced.
You literally support a country that executes homosexuals and whose leader literally blames the jews for the holocaust, and you want to talk to me about respect?

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
No dumb dumb, I'm talking about pronouns. And Canada passed an act called An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code which has been interpreted as criminalizing intentionally using a pronoun that a person does not identify with.

You literally support a country that executes homosexuals and whose leader literally blames the jews for the holocaust, and you want to talk to me about respect?
First of all, your response was used in the context of misnaming, not the misuse of pronouns. Not once have I said I support the criminalization of pronoun misuse, but I do remain firm to the fact that it should be simply the most basic level of respect to refer to one as they desire, hence it shouldn’t be criminalized, but rather, abnormalized.

Additionally, this absurd ad hominem attack that I support President Abbas and his counterparts is starting to get quite hilarious and a poor look for you considering you’ve frequented it so many times. Not once have I mentioned that I support Abbas or condone his antisemitic comments nor have I even revealed who I support in this present conflict, so your comments are simply ridiculous.

You have a tendency to deviate from subjects in pursuit to launch idiotic and ludicrous attacks at anyone who rebuts what you say. Not a good look.

Respect is virtue that reciprocates. Try practicing it someday 🙂

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard about that. I hope this never happens in Australia. Freedom of Speech is part of what makes it great here.

Not sure about the accuracy of this but I have heard that in Canada a parent went to jail becuase they didn’t call their son ‘she’. This child was way below 18 years of age and had started transitioning. Which is equally ridiculous because a child that young can’t give consent but can somehow start gender transition procedures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)