Pronunciation - Indochina (1 Viewer)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
I'm doing a speech on Diem tomorrow, and I need a little help with pronunciation hehe.

Ngo Dinh Diem
Madame Nhu
Bao Dai

that's it!

at the moment I'm saying "no din dee-em", "mad-ahme noo" and "bay-oh die" but I want to be sure. ;)

Thanks team!

JoeI

HSC
Jayphen said:
I'm doing a speech on Diem tomorrow, and I need a little help with pronunciation hehe.

Ngo Dinh Diem
Madame Nhu
Bao Dai

that's it!

at the moment I'm saying "no din dee-em", "mad-ahme noo" and "bay-oh die" but I want to be sure. ;)

Thanks team!
well i know some vietnamese (i am from south east asia) so i'll help you out. those wikipedia is bullshit.

Ngo Dinh Diem = Ngo - well its hard for you to say it because i dont think you have the NG sound in english language. lets see, just say "sin" and "sing". see the difference? the sing has ng sort of sound so use that "ng" sound.

then say ng-o din dee-im

For Madame Nhu, that's sort of right. Madamn Nuu.

For Bao Dai lol not bay-oh lol lol lol sorry ok. it has one sound, not two. it sounds something like this *asian sounds are a bit hard for english language*
baow. say it in one go. baow. bao day..hmm not really sound like die or day..somewhere in the between.

oh well, i hope some viet guy can help you if he's here

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
thanks dude. I didn't see your post but I realised bay-oh sounded funny luckily :p I said "baow"

I don't think my pronunciation hurt me anyway, I got good marks hehe.

HayleeKate

HSC
I spose you've already done your speach so this is too late, but, I went to Vietnam backpacking with a few people who do modern, and we learnt some of the pronounciation:
Diem is more like Zee-em but dont drag it out, say it in one go.. but the D sounds more like Z.
JoeI got the Bao baow perfect.
BUT, alot of teachers get it wrong anyway, so sometimes if you say it right, they correct you with the wrong pronounciation theyve interpreted anyway.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Jayphen said:

Ngo Dinh Diem
Madame Nhu
Bao Dai

that's it!

Thanks team!
diem is ziem I think.
bao dai sounds chinese so I pronounce it chinese, and it sounds like I'm trying to say 'the bag is full' alright then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)