Properties of the forms of oxygen (1 Viewer)

HSC
some help please? :santa:

well... i was wondering, about the solubility in water of the oxygen atom, ozone, and the oxygen free radical?
hsc online says that ozone is more soluble in water than oxygen, because of its bent/slightly polar structure, giving it the ability to interact with the water molecules, which makes sense... and it doesnt mention about the free radical one's solubility...
and well, this would all be good, but my teacher said both the ozone and the free one are insoluble in water... my teacher isnt appearing to get many things right lately lol...

i just wanted to make sure what i have is right.... :wave:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Ozone is, yes, more soluble in water than oxygen. The problem with O free radical is that its existence is too short to actually carry out any tests for its properties. Just the same as its "unavailable" MP and BP

HSC
ah, ok, thanks for that explanation :)

makes me wonder what my teacher was talking about .........

JSBboag

HSC
yeah, thats correct about ozone being considerly more soluable then oxygen - due to its bi-polar structre (bent molecule).
Also, the O atoms are really reactuve with six valence electrons, thus tending to form oxygen molecules. Which means that oxygen does not normally exist as free atoms, but as diatomic molecules.

Last edited:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Well, I think it'd be the oxygen free radical having 2 unpaired electrons that make it extremely unstable. Simply saying, its outer shell is not completed. According to the rule of arranging orbitals and electron pairs, we tend to have the max number of free e-(s). Plus, I tend to think it's those two e-s that make the atom reactive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)