pros and cons of choosing new subjects in year 12? (1 Viewer)

BOS101

HSC
I'm gonna do sor2, english advanced, math standard2, cafs, legal studies and business services in year 11. I also wanted to do modern history and business studies, but could only choose 12 units. So I was thinking I could drop business services in year 12 and pursue business studies. Same with modern history and legal. So my question is: Is it worth doing a subject for one whole year just to drop it? Will picking a new subject in year 12 put me at a significant disadvantage?

Last edited:

tito981

HSC
Is it worth doing a subject for one whole year just to drop it?
It depends on what you define as 'doing a subject', for instance if you know you chose a subject purely to take up enough units and to drop after year 11, I believe it is a waste trying in that subject. However, if you are unsure of keeping the subject during the HSC I feel as though it is worth trying based on the fact that you cannot really scope if you are good at a subject without initially trying it, i.e. people tell you a subject is hard but you may be good at the skills required.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Setting yourself up to drop a subject isn't wise. If you don't see any perks after the prelim course, why do it? Also you can't pick up any subjects in Year 12 except for:

- Mathematics Extension 2; prereq MX1+ADV Year 11
- English Extension 2; prereq EX1 + ADV YR 11
- History Extension; prereq History Subject YR 11
- Science Extension; prereq Science Subject YR 11

and there might be SOR?? idk i dont go to a CSSA school.

Choose the subjects that will give you an advantage for your degree or job you plan to go into after HS + what interests you the most. I was mainly a humanities + english person throughout HS however I had a big turnaround in year 11 and I started to prefer Maths + Science way more. What I'm trying to say is that you can't at all predict what subjects you're going to enjoy or do because a lot of people are interested by the prospect of doing X subject but then realise its nothing like what they imagined or they just grown out of it.

If you're really curious about how you'll find the subject, try doing some of the prelim content. So for business studies, try to find an online copy of Jacaranda textbook and go through the content and try doing the questions - see how you find it.

cyniczny

HSC
hm yeah as far as I know, you can't pick up new subjects in year 12 unless they're extensions, because in order to complete the hsc course for a subject you need to have completed the preliminary course as a prerequisite unfortunately

BOS101

HSC
It depends on what you define as 'doing a subject', for instance if you know you chose a subject purely to take up enough units and to drop after year 11, I believe it is a waste trying in that subject. However, if you are unsure of keeping the subject during the HSC I feel as though it is worth trying based on the fact that you cannot really scope if you are good at a subject without initially trying it, i.e. people tell you a subject is hard but you may be good at the skills required.
You make a fair point. I wasn't initially planning on trying that much in year 11 but lol you changed my mind. Also, I didn't pick any subjects just for the sake of filling up my units. They all have some sort of purpose, whether it's because I'm interested in it, I'm good at it, it's useful, it scales well etc.

BOS101

HSC
Setting yourself up to drop a subject isn't wise. If you don't see any perks after the prelim course, why do it? Also you can't pick up any subjects in Year 12 except for:

- Mathematics Extension 2; prereq MX1+ADV Year 11
- English Extension 2; prereq EX1 + ADV YR 11
- History Extension; prereq History Subject YR 11
- Science Extension; prereq Science Subject YR 11

and there might be SOR?? idk i dont go to a CSSA school.

Choose the subjects that will give you an advantage for your degree or job you plan to go into after HS + what interests you the most. I was mainly a humanities + english person throughout HS however I had a big turnaround in year 11 and I started to prefer Maths + Science way more. What I'm trying to say is that you can't at all predict what subjects you're going to enjoy or do because a lot of people are interested by the prospect of doing X subject but then realise its nothing like what they imagined or they just grown out of it.

If you're really curious about how you'll find the subject, try doing some of the prelim content. So for business studies, try to find an online copy of Jacaranda textbook and go through the content and try doing the questions - see how you find it.
Ok thank you! And yeah I guess I won't know until I try... so thanks, I will take your advice.

BOS101

HSC
hm yeah as far as I know, you can't pick up new subjects in year 12 unless they're extensions, because in order to complete the hsc course for a subject you need to have completed the preliminary course as a prerequisite unfortunately
At my school we can pick up different subjects in year 12. I'm not sure how many people actually do it, but from what I've heard, some people drop subjects they hate then pick something else. It's basically up to the student to catch up. So the only reason I might do business studies in year 12 is because I've done year 9 and 10 commerce, which is similar to the preliminary content I've heard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)