Prospective International Student (1 Viewer)

imawoikiro

HSC
I'm a typical Asian-American international student attending a public school in the U.S. It is likely that I'll apply to USyd. But I have some questions regarding the application procedure and the residential colleges.

1) Correct me if I'm wrong but do you write a personal statement just for your residential college app, not for the course app?

2) On the course application, there is no room for me to put down my extracurricular activities. Do they count toward one's admission to USyd?

3) How many international students are in each residential college? I thought about applying to the International House but a residential college seems much more attractive. But I'm concerned that I'd stick out like a sore thumb among preppy-looking caucasian college kids. (no offense) That's the feeling I got while watching the YouTube videos.

4) When should I apply to residential colleges? Should I wait after I gain admission to USyd?

Affinity

HSC
1.) Think so.
2.) Only grades matter in general, you can contact Usyd directly to get mroe information on your specific course, sometimes there are exceptions
3.) Colleges hmm not quite sure about that.. most people are friendly here though. You might also consider renting outside
4.) As early as possible...

imawoikiro

HSC
^I'd rather live in a close-knitted community than in an apartment suite. I'm thinking about St. Andrews. I'd appreciate any comment from USyd students.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
With regards to point 3) - yes, most of the college kids are "preppy looking caucasian." But that's not necessarily a bad thing. You won't stick out like a sore thumb. (being Asian-American, I presume you speak good English so I see no impediments there) It's not like theres no Asians at USyd or at college, the place is teeming with them.

It depends on what you goal on exchange is. If its to meet locals and get a really good feel for the country then college is probably better. If you want to meet heaps of other people from lots of different places then stay in International House.

imawoikiro

HSC
Yeah, I have no problem with English. I'm actually really interested in St. Andrews; I wonder how many international students attend St. Andrews. And I'm also worrying about another thing. Would a law or commerce degree from USyd limit my career options? I've heard that law degree's useless unless you're planning to work in Australia. In the U.S., people with no citizenships don't reap the available opportunities. Would you say the same thing for Australia?

HSC
Wadup Brah Props To All My Asians Laying It Down In America

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)