Prospective jobs in science/engineering? (1 Viewer)

T

tellytubbies

From what I've heard, even a B Science (Adv) w/ TSP will grant you little more than nothing in terms of jobs. How true is this? Any alumni out there?

If I were to tie B Science (Adv) with Engineering (Chemical/Biomolecular/Biomedical), would my job prospects rise? (ie. I could probably more easily get into an engineer-related job than straight out science?)

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
if ur decision as to weather to study a discipline is based on merely 'job prospects' then I doubt science is for you..

Joel8945

HSC
From what I've heard, even a B Science (Adv) w/ TSP will grant you little more than nothing in terms of jobs. How true is this? Any alumni out there?

If I were to tie B Science (Adv) with Engineering (Chemical/Biomolecular/Biomedical), would my job prospects rise? (ie. I could probably more easily get into an engineer-related job than straight out science?)
Yes the job prospects for you would increase if you had a double degree (just because you are knowledgable in two major areas)!

From what i am hearing, getting an engineering related job is easier than getting an science related job. At the moment the best job sectors are health (for people who are interested in applying biology to something) and engineering (for us physics minded or chemistry minded and now even biological minded - biology in engineering is really starting to grow and binding biology with engineering really allows you to work in the health sector also) for science.

From what I'm finding I believe that engineering is the commercial use of science.

Joel8945

HSC
if ur decision as to weather to study a discipline is based on merely 'job prospects' then I doubt science is for you..
No his discipline isn't 'merely on job prospects' as you state it, but, job prospects do make a huge influence of what you study because why would you spend years getting into something if you can't get a profession in that area?

Your a hoot!

T

tellytubbies

No his discipline isn't 'merely on job prospects' as you state it, but, job prospects do make a huge influence of what you study because why would you spend years getting into something if you can't get a profession in that area?

Your a hoot!
Yes, I agree, just because I'm curious about job prospects, that doesn't mean I'm not cut-out for science! (if I were really out for job & money, I could get into a 5-year-course medicine and jump on the doctor bandwagon, or go into actuary studies). I love science (I do biology, chemistry and physics) but I'm not going into a course knowing I'll depend on Centrelink money. Thank you, Joel, you've gave me a new perspective to think about... I might pursue engineering/science afterall. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joel8945

HSC
Yes, I agree, just because I'm curious about job prospects, that doesn't mean I'm not cut-out for science! (if I were really out for job & money, I could get into a 5-year-course medicine and jump on the doctor bandwagon, or go into actuary studies). I love science (I do biology, chemistry and physics) but I'm not going into a course knowing I'll depend on Centrelink money. Thank you, Joel, you've gave me a new perspective to think about... I might pursue engineering/science afterall. :)
Thats alright you reminded me of myself last year! I love my science aswell, but I also wanted to do something that I could end up doing as a professional.

As you stated there are better ways to get money.

In my science degree about 60+% want to go into medicine and in melbourne's biomedicine about 100% of these guys want to go into medicine. With the melbourne model you generally pick a major that you extend to a post-graduate degree (usually Masters or PhD) and then get a job. The competition into these are pretty high (especially with the Master of engineering degree and I'm considering transferring to BEng to avoid that competition). If you get a high enough score to do that double degree, do it! It wont be easy though!

But yes from what I hear engineering has better job prospects than science. With engineering say you become a chemical engineer, you will take that chemistry knowledge into industry and apply that to getting a job done. Having said that scientists and engineers work with eachother on projects and whether your a scientist or engineer you will still have people from both areas doing laboratory research if that is what they want to do! Yes engineers still work in laboratories! Mathematicians generally can work in areas of commerce or engineering or science (so if you love your maths you could be the one who does most of the maths behind a project).

Ben1220

HSC
Thats alright you reminded me of myself last year! I love my science aswell, but I also wanted to do something that I could end up doing as a professional.

As you stated there are better ways to get money.

In my science degree about 60+% want to go into medicine and in melbourne's biomedicine about 100% of these guys want to go into medicine. With the melbourne model you generally pick a major that you extend to a post-graduate degree (usually Masters or PhD) and then get a job. The competition into these are pretty high (especially with the Master of engineering degree and I'm considering transferring to BEng to avoid that competition). If you get a high enough score to do that double degree, do it! It wont be easy though!

But yes from what I hear engineering has better job prospects than science. With engineering say you become a chemical engineer, you will take that chemistry knowledge into industry and apply that to getting a job done. Having said that scientists and engineers work with eachother on projects and whether your a scientist or engineer you will still have people from both areas doing laboratory research if that is what they want to do! Yes engineers still work in laboratories! Mathematicians generally can work in areas of commerce or engineering or science (so if you love your maths you could be the one who does most of the maths behind a project).
I'm doing science at melbourne too and I've noticed that lots of people are using it as a pathway to postgrad medicine...

Good luck to them, thats going to be fairly tough, possible but they will need to do very well. Especially if they are only doing science because they couldn't get into biomed :p

I'm not too sure what I'm going to do after science, probably master of engineering or master of science, the thing is though, with the melbourne model only two years old, they haven't really made the post grad courses that everyone will be doing for the melbourne model yet. You can have a look at the current ones, but things will probably change alot by then, as many more students will be doing post graduate degrees. There should probably be information on the new postgrad courses by next year, because that is the final year for the first students of the melbourne model.

Joel8945

HSC
I'm doing science at melbourne too and I've noticed that lots of people are using it as a pathway to postgrad medicine...

Good luck to them, thats going to be fairly tough, possible but they will need to do very well. Especially if they are only doing science because they couldn't get into biomed :p

I'm not too sure what I'm going to do after science, probably master of engineering or master of science, the thing is though, with the melbourne model only two years old, they haven't really made the post grad courses that everyone will be doing for the melbourne model yet. You can have a look at the current ones, but things will probably change alot by then, as many more students will be doing post graduate degrees. There should probably be information on the new postgrad courses by next year, because that is the final year for the first students of the melbourne model.
I persnonally don't know whether the master of engineering or master of science is for me! As you can see above I'm considering majoring in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering (maybe chemical but I'll have to do additional chemistry subject - breadth requirements stopped me from being able to do chemistry), physics or maths.

The only problem is if I do engineering subjects in the second year I don't know whether majoring in physics or maths will be possible!

gcspsp

HSC
job prospects for engineering: local beer sampling, interstate brewery expeditions (solely for the beer), international brewery expeditions (solely for the beer)....and also possibly interplanetary expeditions (solely to sample beer brewed under varied atmospheric and elemental conditions) [last option only applies to aerospace losers].

well those are the reasons Im doing engineering

(Y)(Y)(Y)

did I miss something?

Joel8945

HSC
job prospects for engineering: local beer sampling, interstate brewery expeditions (solely for the beer), international brewery expeditions (solely for the beer)....and also possibly interplanetary expeditions (solely to sample beer brewed under varied atmospheric and elemental conditions) [last option only applies to aerospace losers].

well those are the reasons Im doing engineering

(Y)(Y)(Y)

did I miss something?
You are studying engineering to try beer?

What area of engineering are you wanting to major in chemical?

But you could have always opened up your own brewery

I hope its not a pre-requisite for engineers to drink beer! I do drink but I'm more of a spirits person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)