Prospects for environmental law? (1 Viewer)

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Just curious if anyone has any insight into the prospects for graduates that are interested in going into environmental law?

I'm at USYD, transferring into Combined Law. Although I'm currently enrolled in LLB/B Comm, I'm thinking of swapping to LLB/BA where I can do a government/IR major, plus electives from geography. This would somewhat complement my interests in environmental policymaking.

This is of course dependent on whether I can easily transfer, considering I've already enrolled in the Commerce/LLB combined degree...

Alternatively, considering that grad law jobs seem to be hard to come by, am I better sticking with Commerce and battling through a finance major? I can't really think of anything more boring, but it also seems somewhat naive to be banking on landing a decent job with a LLb/BA.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just curious if anyone has any insight into the prospects for graduates that are interested in going into environmental law?

I'm at USYD, transferring into Combined Law. Although I'm currently enrolled in LLB/B Comm, I'm thinking of swapping to LLB/BA where I can do a government/IR major, plus electives from geography. This would somewhat complement my interests in environmental policymaking.

This is of course dependent on whether I can easily transfer, considering I've already enrolled in the Commerce/LLB combined degree...

Alternatively, considering that grad law jobs seem to be hard to come by, am I better sticking with Commerce and battling through a finance major? I can't really think of anything more boring, but it also seems somewhat naive to be banking on landing a decent job with a LLb/BA.
You can do either side of environmental law.

Obviously, the most obvious thing that springs to mind is the EDO. But don't forget, there are plenty of other environmental law careers out there. I work at a commercial law firm, and in the Property group, there is Environmental litigation and planning. A lot of firms out there have them.

I'm in insurance law, and there's a couple of cases that we have from time to time which relate to environmental, planning, and strata laws.

Law firms do not give a crap about what your other degree is. If you're intent on getting into law, do whatever you're interested in for the other degree.

It is harder to land onto a "back up" on your Arts degree - although, I did a BA/LLB, and I got a vaccie role at KPMG if law had fallen through for me. But yes, Comm is "easier", because there are much easier career paths from a Comm degree - big 4 accounting, big 4 banks, etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)