proving income for youth allowance (1 Viewer)

laniani

HSC
Hi,
I'm planning on trying to reach the amount necessary to become independent before I commence study again next year.
I've been a nanny while at uni last year, so that was a cash in hand job.
If I keep nannying this year, but be paid into my bank account instead, can I prove earning the amount? Or do I need a job that uses pay slips?
I was working at a playcentre for 3 years- 10 months of that while being out of school- but never got playslips. So according to centrelink- was I not employed because I didnt get payslips?
Thanks

danz90

HSC
laniani said:
Hi,
I'm planning on trying to reach the amount necessary to become independent before I commence study again next year.
I've been a nanny while at uni last year, so that was a cash in hand job.
If I keep nannying this year, but be paid into my bank account instead, can I prove earning the amount? Or do I need a job that uses pay slips?
I was working at a playcentre for 3 years- 10 months of that while being out of school- but never got playslips. So according to centrelink- was I not employed because I didnt get payslips?
Thanks
I think that Centrelink will only accept a Tax Income Notice/Assessment Slip, from the Australian Taxation Office.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
there are a few different things they accept. payslips, an assessment notice from the ATO, a group certificate, or a letter from the employer (on company letterhead) stating how much you earned in the period.

presumably you have a group certificate from the playcentre? if so you can use that.

Peartie

HSC
dont forget though that when claiming the 18grand or whatever it is these days it needs to be in the last 18 months

And when I went to apply I was using a letter from my employer in England (which was a non taxed job) however with that and my jobs in Australia combined I had reached the required amount. I was told that because the job in England was non taxed I was unable to use it, whereas if I had been taxed whilst in England I could have. So the job needs to be a taxed job is what Im getting at

laniani

HSC
okay. thanks everyone. looks like i wont be able to get it through nannying. I didnt get anything from my employer of the playcentre- just paid into my bank accound every week. we all thought she was trying to evade the system somehow.
i finished school in 2007, so been out for just over a year. But if i earn the amount this year, within 12 months, thats fine right? it's just that the amount has to be earned within a time limit of 18 months?
Thanks

Peartie

HSC
its fine if it was all earned in 3 months BUT you need to have been out of school for AT LEAST 18 months (from the date of your final exam)

if you go to www.centrelink.gov.au you can see all this.....

laniani

HSC
i've been out for 14 months already.
And am waiting another year before applying.
So its all good- as long as I earn the amount

Peartie

HSC
yea, but it can only be a maximum of 14 months so for every month you wait after the 18 is up you lose a month of earnings at the start of that period...if that makes sense.....

laniani

HSC
ah, i think I get what you're trying to say. I'm not going to be using any of the earnings I've made in the last 14 months for the youth allowance.
I'm trying to earn the amount in the time from now, till next jan. I'm not using anything from last year and back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)