Proving Max points necessary? (1 Viewer)

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
I notice that in some of the sample answers of past exams, for questions like "Hence show the maximum area is ... cm^2", the sample answers include an area where the person actually tests that it is a max, by testing 1 up and 1 down.

Is that test actually necessary? Because I have never gotten into the habit of doing it and the question just says show the maximum area is "[insertmaxarea]" , not prove it is the max area.

Edit: yeah i think i messed up thread title. but it's more of a generic thing about questions relating to what is said above.

andybandy

HSC
if it ask you to prove its a max point, you have to prove the stationary point is a maximum, by either second derivitave or a change in gradient

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
Yeah, if it explicitly tells you to prove it, of course I will. But like, what if it says show that max is "bla bla bla".

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yeah, if it explicitly tells you to prove it, of course I will. But like, what if it says show that max is "bla bla bla".
Just because the question mentions that it is a max, doesn't mean you can assume it is a max because you're really just using the answer to get to the answer. The question says 'show' so you have to prove it is a max.

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
Just because the question mentions that it is a max, doesn't mean you can assume it is a max because you're really just using the answer to get to the answer. The question says 'show' so you have to prove it is a max.
Alright thanks, I'll try keep that in mind tomorrow :)

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
There was a question that was "Find the minimum distance between the cars" today, were we meant to prove it was minimum, cause I didn't want to spend a lot of time, and just left that out but I think I got the distance right.

bedpotato

HSC
There was a question that was "Find the minimum distance between the cars" today, were we meant to prove it was minimum, cause I didn't want to spend a lot of time, and just left that out but I think I got the distance right.
Yes you did. All you had to do was find the second derivative. Since it was just a number, you didn't even have to sub t into it to prove it's a minimum.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
I was taught to always show it via second derivative or first derivative table

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)