Psychedelica (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Best you start off with something like Revolver by the Beatles. I'll post some more up when I can think of some.

EDIT: Are you more interested in the older stuff, around the 60s-70s or more modern?

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
cool. i'll give it a try even though i've never been a beatles fan :(

i'm interested in a bit ofboth old and mod. the reason i'm asking is because i know some local phsychedelica bands around sydney and i really enjoy their stuff

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
lessthanthree would probably be able to help you out with this more than I could, but here we go - off the top of my head:

Arthur Brown
The Beatles
The Zombies
Jefferson Airplane
Fifty Foot Hose
C.A Quintet
The Pretty Things
The Left Banke
Syd Barrett - as well as Pink Floyd's "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
The Millenium

Modern: I don't have much knowledge on more modern psych
but I have enjoyed work from Mercury Rev. Maybe Bardo Pond? Also, a lot of good neo-psych comes from Japan nowadays, look for Nagisa Ni Te and Ghost.

HSC
i love psych.

the trees - the christ tree (1975)
bizarre hippy psych/folk from a christian cult. truly beautiful + haunting vocals, weird instrumentation. one of the strangest recordings i've heard, but also one of my favourites (and thank god, is finally being re released)

these trails - these trails (1973)
hawaiian psych/folk, also not like anything i've heard. a lot of tracks have a really whimsical feeling to them, but there are a few which are just downright scary. the female vocals in this really make the album for me, really frail, and so damn pretty.

ya ho wha 13 - penetration: an aquarian symphony (1974)
yay! more cult-made improv psych jams. everything i've heard from these guys has been completely deranged, but this is probably their most focused. features some amazing fuzzy guitar work, but unfortunately, not that much shouting/ranting from cult leader, father yod.

lula côrtes e zé ramalho - 'paêbirú' (1974)
a 'lost' classic from brazil (most copies of this burned down in a warehouse fire), but thankfully has been reissued. this is just a timeless record for me and is easily in my top 10 OAT. the loose theme of this album is the 4 elements, and there are just so many different sounds on this album that i can't really describe it with words; but everything on here just works so well together. from the fuzzy guitar freakouts, to the funky 'nas paredes da pedra encantada', the horns, sitars and little folky/acoustic tunes, this record is truly unique

love - forever changes (1967)
this is THE perfect pop/rock/psych album imo. pretty much essential for anyone into music.

check out the stuff on runtlock's list, as well as
index
tomorrow
the beat of the earth
13th floor elevators / roky erikson
the united states of america
white noise
silver apples
ant trip ceremony
zerfas

the 'nuggets' box sets are a really good starting point for that era of psych

there is a lot of great foreign shit worth checking out
3 hur el (turkey)
agamenon (spain)
algarnas trädgård (sweden)
los jaivas (chile)
träd gräs och stenar (sweden)
ariesta birawa (indonesia)
os brazoes (brazil)

then there's also the amazing krautrock stuff coming from germany during the 60's/70's;
ash ra tempel, amon duul/ii, can, faust, cluster, brainticket, popul vuh, guru guru etc...

japanese psych is seriously amazing stuff.
nagisa ni te and ghost are great; tenniscoats, maher shalal hash baz, slap happy humphrey, puka puka brians are similar. if you are after something a lot heavier, check out; acid mothers temple, high rise/mainliner, fushitsusha/keiji haino/vajra, les rallizes denudes, angel'in heavy syrup, lsd march and DMBQ

as for mainly modern stuff, there is a great scene in finland (avarus, lau nau, kemiallyset ystavat, etc...), the us has some great stuff too (devendra etc, if yr into that stuff, the jewelled antler collective, jack rose/pelt, six organs of admittance/comets on fire). also, aus/nz has some great stuff too (the musicyourmindwillloveyou collective; brothers of the occult sisterhood, terracid, etc..). the psychic paramount - 'gamelan into the mink supernatural' is probably my favourite psych album of recent years.

i'm not touching on a lot of stuff, so i'll probably add some more when i can be bothered.

Last edited:

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
My favourite genre of music (if I had to choose) <3

Here are a few recent groups

Dungen - Ta Det Lungt (you've probably heard of them, they did tour with Wolfmother after all)
Six Organs of Admittance
The Olivia Tremor Control (and if you like that you'll like most of everything on the Elephant 6 label)
Liars
Oneida
Comets on Fire
Colour Haze

Also, look for some artists in this last.fm group - http://www.last.fm/group/Taking+Drugs+to+Make+Music+to+Take+Drugs+to/

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
thankyou all so much!
esp the short descriptions lessthanthree
i have one or two songs from a small number of those artists. am keen for more
now i just need to wait for february for my downloads to come back :(

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Great list, lessthanthree. I'll look into them.

But Forever Changes by Love, that should be high on your priority, it's a marvellous album and one that's very easy to get into. Buy the CD if you can, I guarantee you won't be disappointed with it. Cheap album, anyways :p

Everybody should listen to Tago Mago by Can.

Chris.

HSC
Also have a listen to RHCP - One Hot Minute
It might not be what your looking for but its a mix of psychedelia with funk rock imo.

Chris.

HSC
now that i think about it, its not really a psychedelic album at all.....but have a listen anyway!

icecreamdisco

HSC
Chris. said:
Also have a listen to RHCP - One Hot Minute
It might not be what your looking for but its a mix of psychedelia with funk rock imo.
yeah baby, what a groovy idea! maybe after listening to it, i might wanna stick my hands in an oven, and turn the oven on! so my hands become REALLY HOT! then perhaps a round of crayon-eating! gnarly.

sagganuts

HSC
For heavier psychedelic music i recommend the following:

Dungen
Comets On Fire
Dead Meadow
Colour Haze
Kyuss

For contemporary 60's/shoegaze influenced psychedelia

The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Black Angels
The Tyde
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Should keep you busy for now

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
agree with the ones said...
also dont forget the jimi hendrix experience and quicksilver messenger service.
as far as pink floyd go, anything before dark side of the moon will satisfy

HSC

psychedelic funk, fr fans of hendrix + parliament/funkadelic- allmusic describes this album as sounding like a 'sinister curtis mayfield', and that's pretty spot on. gritty tunes, some really great fuzzy guitar work. this is one of my fave obscure funk releases. also check the band 'black merda', who i think share some of the same band members.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)