Psychiatry... (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Psychology > Psychiatry.

Psychologist: I'm actually going to understand your problem and help you through it.
Psychiatrist: Here's some lithium. If it doesn't kill you come back and see me in a week. That'll be $600 dollars.
And here comes the most prevalent misconception about the professions. :)

Psychologists deal primarily with people who have problems relating to their perceptions and emotions. I'm not going to start on Freud, but basically Psychologists attempt to help people resolve issues by finding the root of a non-material problem.

Psychiatrists are medical professionals who tend to deal with patients suffering from neurological disorders. These are the ones who can't be helped by psychologists because their probelms aren't based on bad experiences or attitudes but real and present medical problems. I suppose a simple example would be the theorised "chemical imbalances" in the brain, or "malfunctioning receptors", that are currently suspected of being the cause of Anorexia. Anorexia is definitely not a psychological problem, but a psychiatric one. It is currently treated by a mixture of counselling and medicine.

Common in the US are what are known here as "Counselling Psychiatrists". This is partly because of the American need to throw money at anyone with a loud voice and a pushy attitude a la Dr Phil, and partly because there's more perks involved in "treating" patients who think they need a psychiatrists (and can afford one) when a psychologist would be more approrpiate.

Unlike in the US, Australian psychologists are well respected for their work and training and are consulted by individuals as well as corporations.

doe

HSC
N/A
you dissing dr phil?

wheres your christmas cheer? at least he makes americans cry

inasero

Reborn
HSC
dr phil isnt even a medical doctor...and I've seen the way he deals with problems. I can see straight away that he doesn't adequately address the "patient's" emotions and is excessively paternalistic in giving advice. And on the side, the "advice" is nothing but cliched nonsense. If I had an emotional problem, he is definitely not the guy I'd go to for help.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
"Dr. Phil has a B.S, M.A. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from North Texas State University with a dual area of emphasis in clinical and behavioral medicine. He has been a board-certified and licensed clinical psychologist since 1978."

in the US a PhD in psych is enough to dispense medications in certain states lik those for depression and certain medical conditions... actualli i feel they are more respected in US than Aust. cept they are a lil more trashy there sometimes..

btw Anorexia Nervosa is the mental condition i suspect ure talkin about
... Anorexia by itself just means ' Absence of appetite'!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes but for the purpose of this discussion there was no need for me to name the condition. Especially since at the time I couldn't remember quite how to spell the second half and couldn't be bothered looking it up. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)