Psychoanalytic Reading - Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

caroline86

I'm not sure if i actually get what psychoanalytic reading is. Could anyone help? I'm specifically looking for a psychoanalytic reading of 'The Violets' and 'At Mornington'
thanks!:D

caroline86

I've already read that thread and i'm still not that sure. If i just talk about her poems are reflections of memories and dreams.. would that be psychoanalytical?

clerisy

HSC
I think so... dreams are supposed to be the subconscious finally being able to express yourself, and with unconscious desires/fears/feelings etc found in core symbols. As to memories, you could talk about how they represent key points in a child's psychological development (maybe?). I just read Without Wing's suggestion about a psychoanalytic reading of 'At Mornington' in that thread, so I'll have to go away and think about it a bit before I have anything to offer!

As to 'The Violets'-- maybe talk about the role of that cosy little family unit in the persona's development... the significance of the particular memory... the psychology of childhood...? I'm not exactly a psychological whiz, so my word isn't law (and I haven't actually worked out a psychoanalytical interpretation of the Violets that I'm content with yet) but it's some suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)