Psychology and Mathematics Discussion (1 Viewer)

3Lachlan2

HSC
This questions is in context to the current NSW Stage 6 HSC Mathematics curriculum.

Out of 2U General Mathematics and 2U Advanced Mathematics, which would you say is the most relevant and helpful for a bachelor degree in psychology?

My situation is that I am in Year 11, trying to weigh up whether it is worth sticking with 2U or dropping to General. Please consider when answering, like I am trying to do now:

an ATAR in some cases of >90 is needed for psychology at some universities;
that I have quite an academic demanding range of subjects (13U's see below);
a PIP for society and culture that I plan to relate to psychology;
how relevent/helpful is General/2U for the maths required (see below);
HSC marks/ranks and the ATAR- excellent general marks dont get scaled down?

My subjects at present are (and by the way im considering dropping ext eng....)
Eng Adv
Eng Ext
Maths 2U
Bio
Geo
Legal
Society

Psychology needs an understanding of statistics so i hear. My argument is that it may be beneficial to drop to general since it focusses on data ect. To my knowledge the current advanced 2U syllabus doesn't have an data in it, although i'm doing pretty well in it... What is the best short/long term actions i could take????

Thankyou for reading this far and I appreciate and urge you to comment.

spence

HSC
It doesn't matter for psych, do whichever one you prefer

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
define "whatever"
dictionary.reference.com said:
–pronoun1.anything that (usually used in relative clauses): Whatever you say is all right with me.

2.(used relatively to indicate a quantity of a specified or implied antecedent): Take whatever you like of these.

3.no matter what: Do it, whatever happens.

4.any or any one of a number of things whether specifically known or not: papers, magazines, or whatever.

5.what (used interrogatively): Whatever do you mean?

–adjective6.in any amount; to any extent: whatever merit the work has.

7.no matter what: whatever rebuffs he might receive.

8.being what or who it may be: Whatever the reason, he refuses to go.

9.of any kind (used as an intensifier following the noun or pronoun it modifies): any person whatever.

–interjection10.(used to indicate indifference to a state of affairs, situation, previous statement, etc.)

witide

HSC
define "whatever"
If you're gonna do normal math and fuck it up, then general maths would be classed as "whatever". If your course at uni has a higher maths prerequisite than you've studied, then you'll just have to do fundamentals or a bridging course first. There's no use trying to fill those prerequisites if you're not gonna get the ATAR to enrol.

Stringer Bell

HSC
N/A
Maths for Pysc? The only thing you need for Pysc is penchant for the mediocre, a palate for faeces and a distaste for coherent thoughts

Lauchlan

HSC
If you're gonna do normal math and fuck it up, then general maths would be classed as "whatever". If your course at uni has a higher maths prerequisite than you've studied, then you'll just have to do fundamentals or a bridging course first. There's no use trying to fill those prerequisites if you're not gonna get the ATAR to enrol.
define "fuck it up" lol.... what mark would that be..... 70? before scaling.

in any case im in no hurry to drop to general... i could catch up on the prelim 1+1=2 content easily.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Depending on your desired ATAR, 70% is a pretty low mark in comparison to the rest of the state. In fact, according to SAM, it's the bottom 28.4% of the state for 2 Unit. It gets pulled back pretty far if it's that low. It's even worse for 3 Unit.

Lauchlan

HSC
Depending on your desired ATAR, 70% is a pretty low mark in comparison to the rest of the state. In fact, according to SAM, it's the bottom 28.4% of the state for 2 Unit. It gets pulled back pretty far if it's that low. It's even worse for 3 Unit.
ill check Sam then... but im thinking >80 would be a good mark?

witide

HSC
'fucking it up' would probably be defined as scoring less than necessary to get you into uni.

What's the ATAR cutoff for psych at where you want to go?

Lauchlan

HSC
'fucking it up' would probably be defined as scoring less than necessary to get you into uni.

What's the ATAR cutoff for psych at where you want to go?
if i was to go to newcastle uni it would be around 80

in sydney it can be 90-95

so yeah

i was asking what this score would be.... it seems >85 in adv maths is good.
in general anything below 90 fails.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah, 80 is an entirely different story. It's pretty annoying, actually. 12 marks can change whether or not someone's future will happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)