Psychology at UNSW (1 Viewer)

portiaskye

HSC
Hey guys,
i'm looking to do psychology through mid year admission and have a few questions. Is it better to do it through B science or B arts both with psychology major, does the B science have any compulsory subjects or are they all chosen based on majors/minors? is there much difference in the two different paths?
thanks.

portiaskye

HSC
ok thanks. i'll check it out. also, with the subjects to be completed in stage one, psych 1a is only available in semester 1 and psych 1b is only available in semester 2. so would i do 1b starting mid year and then 1a next year? thanks for your help.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
1b is not a prereq of 1a, so you can start off my taking 1b in second semester

Linear

HSC
I think you can only get into honours from B Science (and from there into postgraduate study). If you only want to do a major, I don't think there's any major difference.

EDIT: Actually, I just had a look at the psyc honours brochure. It seems as though you could get into honours from B Arts.

Just to bring to your attention: those who do psyc through a degree other than B Psyc miss out on a level I course. I'm pretty sure it isn't too important though.

Last edited:

portiaskye

HSC
ohk. thanks for that info. i emailed them and they said if you do it through a B arts you have to transfer into B science at end of second year to get into honours.

portiaskye

HSC
ok so i have a read a little bit more and people are saying its far easier to just do a B science (psychology) does anyone know if there is any compulsory subjects for B science? or can i just pick my science major as psychology and then do an arts minor? i'd really like to do criminology in there which is why i was going to do B arts (psychology). Anyone know if that is possible through B science?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I don't think there are any compulsory subjects as such, but you have to do a certain amount of first year maths - there are several courses to chose from, depending on your background - and a certain amount of Level I subjects from science schools. It should all be in the handbook.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Table B Minors. Your challenge now is to find it

portiaskye

HSC
All Minors from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences require a total of 24 upper level units of credit from a particular School.
im confused as to what that means.

Linear

HSC
All minors require Level II and III courses (totalling 24 UoC) from their school to be completed for an award.

EDIT: So for example, a level II course would have a code like ARTS2021 - you can tell what level it is from the first number

Last edited:

portiaskye

HSC
ah ok cool. so basically you have to take enough subjects over the course of the degree or you wont get the minor?

jenorater

HSC
Is it possible to major in Psyc through Double degree Arts / Commerce for example?

there's a restriction placed on the arts, so you can only do 54oc per major. But psyc major seems to be 60uoc, is this correct?

portiaskye

HSC
question, how hard is it to transfer from B arts (psych) or B science (psych) into the B psychology? what marks do you need and how long do you need to be doing the degree before you can transfer?

portiaskye

HSC
oh and, is there any disadvantage if you do a B of arts (psych) then transfer to B science (psych) for third year so you can get into honours?

Linear

HSC
I don't see any disadvantages in doing that but I'm only a first year so I may be incorrect. One thing though, you may not make the transfer.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to internally transfer into a different program. I think you can do it after first year but transferring to B psyc would require a pretty good WAM, I'd imagine.

Psyc in B Science isn't that different from B psychology. You'll have to maintain a WAM of 70% or higher in both programs to have a shot at honours. I've heard people say the only difference is B Psyc has some kind of prestige attached to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)