psychology or a major in psychology (1 Viewer)

bangbangboogie

HSC
hey i'm in year 12 atm and was thinking about doing psychology at uni, but wasn't sure which is the better option of doing a bachelor of psychology or a major in psychology if i wanted to a postgraduate course in business or law as opposed to clinical psychology or research. if you could give me some advice that would be great!

uniform

!!!
HSC
If you aren't planning on continuing with postgraduate clinical psychology, I would recommend a major/minor in psychology rather than doing the Bachelor of Psychology. You'd have much more flexibility in your course options if you just took a major in psych, rather than committing to the BPsych, which is quite structured in terms of how many psych units you have to take, and does not allow as much room for change.

Furthermore, entry into BPsych (at usyd at least) is quite competitive, with only about 40 or so places available each year, I believe. If you are in BPsych and maintain a certain average (i think it's a credit), you are guaranteed a spot in 4th year psych which, if I am not mistaken, is necessary in order to continue on with clinical psychology. For people in other degrees majoring in psych, you need to perform exceptionally well to gain entry into 4th year psych. Maybe it would be better to not take up a place in the BPsych, given you don't want to continue with postgrad, so that another kid who DOES want to continue on with postgrad psych has the opportunity for an 'easier' pathway to their career of choice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)