Psychology - subjects question (1 Viewer)

what--if

HSC
I'm thinking of doing a Bachelor of Psych at UNSW next year, but I'm a little worried about the levels of maths and science involved. I'll be doing bridging courses to catch up, but I was wondering what types of science (or maths) subjects need to be taken. The UNSW page has this for the first year:I've been searching for a list of the 'Courses from Science Schools', but I can't seem to find any.

If anyone could share some info on the various types/amount/difficulty of science and maths subjects in the degree, I'd be forever grateful :)

Thanks a lot!

Morbo

HSC
Nil. They only assume you have done atleast Standard English. Advanced English would be beneficial though. It would be good to know Mathematics and Chemistry or Biology but its not necessary. Instead of doing a bridging course, you could just enrol into foundation courses if you wish in place of your science electives unless you are thinking of doing a double major or an additional minor.
'Courses from Science Schools' is just another term for Science Elective which means you can do any courses offered from any school in the Faculty of Science. So you could do a Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Computer Science course amoung others. if you wish. The university offers a range of courses to accomodate students with different backgrounds so you won't need to worry about not having the assumed knowledge required for a certain course. However, if you're thinking of doing a double major, you must take into account the courses that are required to satisfy that major.
Hope that helps

what--if

HSC
Thanks, that definitely helps :)

Nope, I don't think I'll be doing a double major or additional minor. English won't be a problem... being as mathematically and scientifically challenged as I am, I was just incredibly concerned about those two specific areas.

Judging by the website though, "Assumed knowledge includes 2u mathematics plus any two units of science. However, if you do not have the level of recommended assumed knowledge you are advised to undertake a bridging course or other appropriate preparation."

Would foundation courses fall under the category of appropriate preparation?

bubble

Moo
HSC
Sorry this might be a bit late.

The only maths involved in second and third year is statistics - your not really disadvantage by not having done 2 unit maths because it doesn't even cover the statistics in the course.

I have friends who did 4Unit maths who look at my statistics notes and have no idea, so your not really going to be at a disadvantage for not knowing it. The concepts can get quite complicated when you reach 3rd year though.

Don't bother with a bridging course it won't cover the maths you will need anyway.

As for the science - you can actually do philosophy as one of your science electives (They count it as a science??) and I did Biology as well which wasn't so bad/sciency.

Hope that helps - good luck :)

what--if

HSC
You can do philosophy as a science elective? I'm officially excited :D

Thanks so much for the info!

jycina

HSC
N/A
so do they rejected u because u didnt do standard or above level english courses for hsc?

Jaylee42003

HSC
No. They will not reject you for a course because you have not completed the recommended/assumed knowledge for english, as uni's no longer have pre-requisits, but only assumed/recommended knowedge.
Though it will help if you have. If you haven't you may need to complete a bridging course.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)