Public school expulsions on the rise (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Source

Public school expulsions on the rise
By Justin Norrie, Education Reporter
October 25, 2005 - 12:37PM

Suspensions and expulsions among NSW public school students are rising, and nearly four out of every five students ejected are male, Department of Education figures show.

The Education Minister, Carmel Tebbutt, said schools were "among the safest places for young people in our society", despite the fact that more than half of all suspensions were for physical violence towards fellow students and teachers.

Figures compiled by the Department of Education for the first half of this year show six out of every 1000 public school students were given a long suspension, which lasts between five and 20 days.

Ms Tebbutt said that comparable figures were not collated in 2004 but that the most recent data from the last five years showed that about 8.8 students in every thousand had been suspended over a whole year.

In semester 1 this year, 56 per cent of students suspended were from years 7 to 10, and 51 per cent of all suspensions were for physical violence. Thirty-four per cent were for persistent misbehaviour and 6 per cent for serious criminal behaviour.

There were 156 expulsions, most of which were described by Department of Education documents simply as being for "misbehaviour".

The Government will open four suspension centres in coming weeks - at Wagga Wagga, Glenfield in south-west Sydney, Bidwill in west Sydney and Gymea in Sydney's south.
Suspension centre? Thas soooooooo funny, wish i was still in high school

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, I guess students are just becoming more rebelliously stupid, I guess. I mean, look at the snotty year sevens! I REMEMBER COWERING IN THE PATH OF YEAR TWELVES. Oh, how times have changed...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
There's been a few expulsions at my school recently. I believes its because of the lack of punishment at home. Re-introduce the cane, jks

HSC
we can always sit back and judge attempts to fix a deteriorating situation, but if the education minister were doing nothing, I'm sure people would be even more infuriated right?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
The education minister is doing nothing. Carmell Tebbutt is purely in politics for self gain-her past actions prove it (eg. refusing to bring in a nation certificate). A woman who was taught in the private system shouldn't be running public education.

nwatts

HSC
Kwayera said:
Well, I guess students are just becoming more rebelliously stupid, I guess. I mean, look at the snotty year sevens! I REMEMBER COWERING IN THE PATH OF YEAR TWELVES. Oh, how times have changed...
This is so true.

I remember being so intimidated by "the seniors" in their flash uniforms and sexy haircuts. All I got was cheek from the junior school throughout year 11 and 12. Right up until we stole all the bags of the year 10s (in one of our free periods) and threw them on the roof. :D Oh, the good times.

HSC
nwatts said:
This is so true.

I remember being so intimidated by "the seniors" in their flash uniforms and sexy haircuts. All I got was cheek from the junior school throughout year 11 and 12. Right up until we stole all the bags of the year 10s (in one of our free periods) and threw them on the roof. :D Oh, the good times.
I sure hope you nuggeted them first.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
The Government will open four suspension centres in coming weeks - at Wagga Wagga, Glenfield in south-west Sydney, Bidwill in west Sydney and Gymea in Sydney's south.
Hmmm the one in Bidwill is already there unless they are opening a new one.. its called Blacktown Youth College and its for students who were unhappy (or expelled) in their school environment.. I'm doing my work placement there for Social Analysis and Community Outreach.

Mercedes-Benz

HSC
Well the simple reason for this considerable rise in suspensions and expulsions in public schools is because discipline has been so completely banned by legislation over the years that schools are left with no choice but to suspend or expel instead of imposing meaningful disciplinary measures. I really can't see how suspension or expulsion will do anything to solve this ingrained misbehaviour other than to transplant the problem elsewhere to another school. I'm not suggesting the cane should be reintroduced, but I do think that community service or manual labour programmes should be introduced so that these kids learn that life suddenly isn't so easy. Besides, it would also be more productive than letting them sit at home having a bludge or merely going to another school to cause similar hassles.

However, in my opinion, such delinquent behaviour inevitably originates from the home and is merely a product of care-free parenting which sees children raised with few morals, values or respect for anyone or anything but themselves. Pathetic, really.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Mercedes-Benz said:
However, in my opinion, such delinquent behaviour inevitably originates from the home and is merely a product of care-free parenting which sees children raised with few morals, values or respect for anyone or anything but themselves. Pathetic, really.
I used to believe this, but from recent experience I've found blaming the home for a child's upbringing isn't always the right thing to do. I know of a few very solid families who've had one child become quite a social outcast, being expelled from school, actively pursing stupid behaviour and the like. It's interesting because the other children in these families are very well behaved and reflective of their parents' values and the tone of the family; yet there is one who persists in pushing the boundaries.

I've found misbehavior to more be a product of a conflict in ideology or personality. A certain child does not get along with a teacher, and therefore becomes despondent towards all teachers. A child reacts to the philosophy of the parent (perhaps stemming from religious difference - i've seen it before) which is then not dealt with sympathetically, more defensively.

Care-free parenting is a real problem, I do agree. But I don't think it is the cause of all evil, or so to speak. From my recent experience, I've seen far more troubled teenagers come from very strong families, than I have from those which are broken or troubled.

Mercedes-Benz

HSC
Actually, that's a good point.

Though we can counteract such behaviour with discipline, but unfortunately governments and legislators are afraid of that word these days.

malkin86

HSC
When I was in year 12, I had a pair of year 7 stalkers... It was so creepy! They weren't in love with me either - it was decidedly malicious.

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Society is changing, for the worse unfortunately. But what do we do? We can't change back to our authoritarian past and beat every misbehaving child. There needs to be intervention at an early stage I believe.
Why can't we beat them?

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Apparently there are laws saying we cannot follow our instincts and beat the hell out of people.
Haha... that's the first legitimately funny thing you've said. Props to you.

We clearly need to change said laws.

AboveClevel

HSC
Personally, if expulsions keep school safe then I have no problem with that. I have a penpal in Wyoming and she told me that they were threating to suspend kids that had their cellphones out during tests. The administration at her school was afraid of people cheating by sending text messages. Personally, I think that you'd have to be a t9 predictive text whiz to cheat using a cellphone. And if you are a whiz at that-why not just apply yourself and study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)