Public Schools: where have all the boys gone? (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting article in the smh today.

Non-government primary school enrolments have increased steadily in the past decade, with more boys than girls, Australian Bureau of Statistics data show.

St Mary's Primary School in North Sydney loses large numbers of boys in year 3 and particularly year 5 to Catholic private schools St Ignatius College, Riverview and St Aloysius College, Milsons Point.

St Mary's year 5 class has 19 girls and nine boys while the year 6 class has six boys to 13 girls.

Principal Rosemary De Bono said boys who leave their primary class early miss out on leadership opportunities, such as being a peer support leader or school captain. Those who remain can benefit from their small numbers.
FUll article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...l-the-boys-gone/2005/08/06/1123125942652.html

Does the disparity between girls and boys in public schools havve a wider social consequense? Does it breed a generation of social delinquents?
And related to this is the long running debate: do children who go to co-ed schools have better social skills esp when relating to the opposite sex, as opposed to those in single sex schools?

I would say no there probally isnt really much difference between the two....
But your thoughts?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Socratic teaching methods favour girls. Blegh.

Boys like...autocratic teaching methods - do this, do that, or I'll shoot you.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Those poor boys...what with all those girl germs and cooties! :(

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
From memory being a peer suppost leader made no difference to my education/future and that only one person actually becomes school captain. A wasted oppurtunity? I Think not. :rolleyes:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Ah.... Peer Support leading. We were the first year to do it, so the teachers didn't really have a clue and neither did we. Fun times. And we went to some camp in the bush for our training but all we wanted to do was run around and use the flying fox.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
All of my year 12 teachers are female and it does have a negative imapct on my results. I'm not saying women cannot teach, more that I am inspired to dedicate myself more to my studies when, as Asquithian said, I am trying to prove myself to a male father-figure rather than a socratic maternal figure.

The disparity in male-female student numbers also serves to prevent males from realising their full academic potential. Far too much distraction and demoralising as assesment after assesment even the brightest males go down to their female counterparts, which can only be blamed on the uninteresting and unengaging teaching methods of female teachers.

santaslayer

HSC
I don't think it really differs that much when talking aboput co-eds Vs one gender schools in terms of social skills. If you're a very sociable person, you would still initiate conversation and approach the other sex even tgough you went to an all boys/girls school.

I think it does though, have a large effect on academic results.
It's too hard to concentrate when you have a hawwwt girl sitting right next to you. Damn uni.

babydoll~*

HSC
Deus said:
Interesting article in the smh today.

FUll article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...l-the-boys-gone/2005/08/06/1123125942652.html

Does the disparity between girls and boys in public schools havve a wider social consequense? Does it breed a generation of social delinquents?
And related to this is the long running debate: do children who go to co-ed schools have better social skills esp when relating to the opposite sex, as opposed to those in single sex schools?

I would say no there probally isnt really much difference between the two....
But your thoughts?
where have all the boys gone? Lols~

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I definantly know what you mean. Whilst I've not had any male teachers in Secondary School, my Primary School male teachers tought me the most.

Mr_Sheen

HSC
It does not help when the fact that the two "best" english teachers ( both female btw ) at my school compete for class results, in thier narrow minded attempts to take claim to the best class they often mark each others class assessments.
Im quite sure ( and LeeTom will be able to support this fact ) they often out of spite mark each others students down in some sections of the assessments, It also does not help when one of them is quite clearly Feministic and marks the minority that is the male population biasly. :angry:
As tom stated above the uninteresting and unengaging teaching methods of female teachers results in the decreasing performance of even the brightest and promising males in the class, as i whitnessed today as a very intelligent and good friend was quite clearly given an unfiar mark for an assesment where a female counterpart was given a clearly better mark as she is the teachers favorite ass kissing student.

Scanorama

HSC
Male and female teachers are the same, I have some shit male teachers and some shit female teachers, and also some fantasic male and female teachers.

The attitude towards teaching is what it counts.

MouNtY

having experienced both, i dont think attending a co-ed school or a single sex school makes a guy any less socially competent when it comes to dealing with girls

however just in my experience i found that guys from a boy's school had to work a little harder to meet chix(i.e. go to more parties, be more social), but then that never hurt anyone, whereas dudes from public schools didn't have to try cause chix were just always there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)