punctuated equilibrium...please help - 2006 trial exam paper (1 Viewer)

HSC
As a study resource before the Trail HSC...i am completing the 2006 HSC Trial Examination Paper.
I dont remember, nor can i find anything in any of my many notes relating to punctuated equilibrium.
I just need help with question 18, if anyone can help me...

Question 18 (4 marks)
a) Describe the process of punctuated equilibrium in evolution (1 mark)
b) Explain how punctuated equilibrium differs from the gradual process proposed by Darwin (2 marks)
c) Use a specific example to explain a modern example of 'natural' selection (1 mark)

Please help if you can

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
Mind-of-mysterY said:
As a study resource before the Trail HSC...i am completing the 2006 HSC Trial Examination Paper.
I dont remember, nor can i find anything in any of my many notes relating to punctuated equilibrium.
I just need help with question 18, if anyone can help me...

Question 18 (4 marks)
a) Describe the process of punctuated equilibrium in evolution (1 mark)
b) Explain how punctuated equilibrium differs from the gradual process proposed by Darwin (2 marks)
c) Use a specific example to explain a modern example of 'natural' selection (1 mark)

Please help if you can
punctated equilibrium states that evolution is not constant process, but rather based on the fact that evolution undergoes a stage of equilibrium for a certain period and then followed by a rapid cahnge in evolution. This differs to Darwins in that he proposed that evolution is a 'constant' process. natural selection can be seen in bacteria...antibiotics are used to kill the bacteria however some survive and end up producing offspring with this resistant trait (evolution by natural selection) and so on and there fore they have been naturally selected

HSC
Buiboi said:
punctated equilibrium states that evolution is not constant process, but rather based on the fact that evolution undergoes a stage of equilibrium for a certain period and then followed by a rapid cahnge in evolution. This differs to Darwins in that he proposed that evolution is a 'constant' process. natural selection can be seen in bacteria...antibiotics are used to kill the bacteria however some survive and end up producing offspring with this resistant trait (evolution by natural selection) and so on and there fore they have been naturally selected
thankyou so much...this helps ALOT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)