Q 26, transformer (1 Viewer)

moderf

HSC
26. a) Which arrangement would produce a spark when the power supply is turned on? Justify your choice. 1 mark

b) Explain how different voltages are induced when the secondary coil is moved to different positions. 2 marks

how do u do this quesitonf? i had to make up stuff 4 this question.

nd in the question, it says something abt the how the position of the secondary coil determines the length of the iron core. how is that going to affect the induced voltage?

Last edited:

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
The one that has the 2ndary coil being able to induce a current from the fluctuating primary coil. ie i think the 1st one

bazookie

HSC
yessss the first one....

the secondary coil needs to be over the primary coil

ashbashness

HSC
Vs/Vp=Ns/Np

therefore Vs=Vp*Ns/Np

effectively as I understood it, the question was asking you to change Np by moving the primary coil in and out, so a lower Np would cause a bigger Voltage in the second. That's what I put. No idea if this is how you go about it. Has anyone tested it?

runnable

HSC
I said the second one because that one has less Np within the secondary coil.

adnan91

HSC
runnable said:
YESSSSSSS thats what i put. It made perfect sense cuz the secondary coil would have more turns than the primary coil and thus produc a greater voltage.

layzeehbum

HSC
moderf said:
26. a) Which arrangement would produce a spark when the power supply is turned on? Justify your choice. 1 mark

b) Explain how different voltages are induced when the secondary coil is moved to different positions. 2 marks

how do u do this quesitonf? i had to make up stuff 4 this question.

nd in the question, it says something abt the how the position of the secondary coil determines the length of the iron core. how is that going to affect the induced voltage?
i think i put the first arrangement.... and i also hav 2 make a lot of bull for the rest of the questions =)

iEdd

HSC
runnable said:
Okay, so by that logic, I can make a loop of wire and it has infinite volts in it, because there is no primary coil, hence the secondary coil is divided by zero = infinity.

It was the first arrangement. The second won't even - or *shouldn't* transfer enough magnetic flux for induction to occur. If it did it would be fairly inefficient.

dolbinau

HSC
ashbashness said:
Vs/Vp=Ns/Np

therefore Vs=Vp*Ns/Np

effectively as I understood it, the question was asking you to change Np by moving the primary coil in and out, so a lower Np would cause a bigger Voltage in the second. That's what I put. No idea if this is how you go about it. Has anyone tested it?
I wasn't sure about that either. It sounds right I guess, I think I got that completely wrong now that I think about it - I talked about changing flux and the iron core magnifying the magnetic field. Sounds completely wrong.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Strictly speaking both will cause a spark to jump through, although the setup with one solenoid inside the 2nd, will induce a much greater emf.

runnable

HSC
The 2nd arrangement had SOME primary coil in it. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there. Just like you can't see the primary coil in the first arrangement, but you assumed it was there.

The less primary coil in the circuit, the greater the induced voltage in the secondary coil.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
jasonml said:
Strictly speaking both will cause a spark to jump through, although the setup with one solenoid inside the 2nd, will induce a much greater emf.
Not necessaarily. It might have the required voltage to jump across, and it might not. We have one at our school that we use and the spark starts jumping when you put it about halfway across.

2S1D3

HSC
runnable said:
Exactly what I put.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
all depends on imput voltage. did they give us that? i cant remember

iEdd

HSC
No... The input voltage is the same for each so it's irrelevant.

Either arrangement has the same amount of primary coils conducting, and to flow through the secondary coil, all coils must also conduct. All that's being varied is how many secondary coils are exposed to magnetic flux. I think it might be just adjusting the efficiency more than anything.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
i'm saying the setup with the primary outside of the secondary would induce a small, but nonetheless existant emf, thus if voltage was high enough (across both) a spark will jump across both.

iEdd

HSC
Oh I get what you mean now, yeah. If the coils weren't overlapping, I guess there would still be some flux transfer and there might be a spark. :)

whatever1000

HSC
N/A
I said A setup B didn't even look like it was on the primary coil, I just answered i guess from an induction coil in class I swear I have never seen one how it was in the second setup.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
I've actually used this apparatus (the induction coil) several times in physics prac lessons, and it was definitely the 1st setup that allowed for the sparking. As you move the coil outwards, the sparking decreased, so yeh definitely setup A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)